There's something comforting about a hot bowl of creamy soup. The aroma from the soup scooped out straight from the simmering pan conjures an image of something so good and delightful! And when you are in the middle of winter you need a lot of this bowl of deliciousness.
While in the Philippines that would mean a creamy bowl of Macaroni Soup, here in the US the counterpart would be Chicken Chowder, especially the one flavored with Bacon! It's a toss up as to which is better. For me and my family, we love them both. I am glad I can make either, whichever we fancy, really. :)
Chicken and Bacon Chowder
By: Manila Spoon
January 13, 2015
With lots of chicken and vegetables, flavored with bacon, and so creamy too this chowder is sure to be your winter's comfort food!
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 strips of Bacon, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 3-4 red Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large Carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (11 oz) sweet Corn kernels or 1 cup frozen corn kernels, unthawed
- 1 cup heavy (double) Cream
- 6 cups Chicken broth
- 3-4 cups cooked Chicken, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour (or rice flour or cornstarch)*
- In a deep and large saucepan, heat the olive oil and bacon. Cook until the bacon renders its fat but not yet crispy.
- Add the celery and onions and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the potatoes and carrots and continue sauteing for another 5 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bits remaining in the bottom of the pan. Simmer covered for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken pieces and the corn kernels.
- Pour the cream. Stir.
- Heat the butter and flour in low heat until a paste like consistency forms.
- Slowly stir the flour mixture into the soup.
- Continue to cook until the chicken, corn and cream are fully heated through and the soup has slightly thickened.
- Correct the seasoning if necessary.
- Label into bowls and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 45 Minutes
We would love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.