These cookie bars are truly so delicious and super easy to make!! With layers of graham crackers, coconut, pecans, butterscotch and choco chips – your tastebuds are in for a yummy treat!
In my pantry I have as staples chocolate chips, shredded coconut, pecans and condensed milk. I have them handy in case I need to make some delicious sweet treats for the kids and occasionally for a coffee break in our church.
In one of the old cookbooks I found in Goodwill, one of those produced for a school by some of the parents, I found this recipe for this southern vintage cookies – Hello Dolly Cookie Bars!
When I looked at the ingredients I was delighted to find out that I have most of them in my cupboard including another package of Butterscotch chips but minus the graham crackers.
So when hubby asked me if I wanted him to get something for me at the grocery (he was going out to buy some crickets for our little lovely pet, Rexie, at Petco), I kindly asked if he doesn’t mind making a quick trip to Stop and Shop to buy a box graham crackers. When he returned I immediately made this treat and couldn’t wait to taste it.
When hubby saw the finished product he immediately asked me when it would be cool enough to eat? I told him that he probably won’t like this as it has graham crackers; being English he prefers that I use digestive biscuits on anything that calls for graham crackers as he believes it is far more superior in taste!
He said it looked good and wanted to try it so I told him to be my guest. Well, well. he didn’t just have one but 2 bars immediately as he said it was so yummy and more-ish. Then my son who hates coconut came along and I warned him before trying this that it has coconut in them.
He wasn’t deterred and once again, he loved it and said, he didn’t mind the coconut at all. As you can see, it was a major success! I have to say it was really good and one slice is simply not enough.
I think what made this even more delicious is the combination of chocolate chips and butterscotch chips! So, if you’re going to make this, I suggest using both as it’s totally worth it!! Can you see all the yumminess – it’s buttery, chocolaty, nutty and totally fabulously good!
The best part, it’s super easy to make – it’s just a matter of layering and you have all these yummy flavors dancing on your tastebuds! Certainly, this will be a go-to dessert or snack bar for us all!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above printer icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Hello Dolly Cookie Bars
Recipe by: Manila Spoon
These cookie bars are truly so delicious and super easy to make!! With layers of graham crackers, coconut, nuts, butterscotch and choco chips – your tastebuds are in for a yummy treat!
Prep time: 00:10 Minutes
Cook time: 00:30 Minutes
Total time: 00:40 Minutes
Yield: 24 Cookie Bars
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked Coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels semisweet Chocolate chips
- 1 cup Butterscotch chips
- 1 (14-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk sweetened condensed Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt the stick of butter in a 9 x13 pan in the oven. Remove once the butter is melted ensuring that the entire bottom of the pan and an inch up the sides are coated.
- Press the graham crackers to form a crust. Make sure the crust is spread flatly and evenly. Sprinkle the coconut flakes all over and then layer with the chopped nuts and the chocolate and butterscotch chips. Pour sweetened condensed milk all over.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool completely before cutting into bars. Makes about 24 bars. Enjoy!