Easy, tried, and tested recipe to make delicious soft sugar cookies that are yummy on their own but also perfect for frosting! An easy royal icing or glaze is included in the recipe.
Can you believe it’s already November? Soon it would be Thanksgiving and then before you know it Christmas is right around the corner! I guess, the good thing about reminding ourselves about this is that soon 2020 – the most challenging year – would soon be over!
Do you feel the same way? I just want some normalcy soon!
Anyway, my just turned 12-year-old daughter Sophie has been in a baking mood of late (since the quarantine began actually! ) and wanted to make some sugar cookies the other day. I told her about a soft sugar cookie recipe I found in the cookbook of our old church. I told her to try it and see if it’s any good so we can use that for the holiday season when cookie baking would be at its peak.
That cookbook which was compiled by the lovely ladies in our church has been my go-to reliable resource for meals and sweet treats. It contains delicious recipes that each of their families have loved through the years. I got two copies so I can make these yummy recipes at home.
So my daughter tried the soft sugar cookies recipe from the cookbook and I’m happy to report that the recipe worked well! It was a success!
In fact, the cookies you see from the photos were the ones my daughter made based on the cookbook. She got some fall and Christmas cookie cutters and used them to shape the cookies.
Indeed, she managed to make all these cookies and even frosted some! I think she did a good job! Don’t you think?
I simply became the taste tester for these cookies! I must say the cookies were actually excellent and tasted delicious on their own. In fact, I prefer the cookies plain and without any frosting at all.
I love the yummy buttery taste and the soft and smooth texture of the cookies! I thought they were perfect with my morning coffee!
Besides, if my 12-year old can make it, surely anyone can! It was indeed a very easy recipe that yielded perfect results!
So, if you are in need of an easy, tried, and tested sugar cookie recipe for your holiday baking – I certainly highly recommend this Easy Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe!
I guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
Easy Soft Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
ROYAL ICING OR GLAZE for SUGAR COOKIES
- 2 egg whites,
- 2 lbs icing or confectioner's sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- food coloring of your choice
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs; beat. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts and add all dry ingredients. Chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out cookie dough and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 F for 6-8 minutes.
- Makes approximately 5 dozen large cookies.
EASY ROYAL ICING OR GLAZE for SUGAR COOKIES
- Mix all the ingredients with a whisk. Add about 4-6 tablespoons of water (or as needed) to achieve a smooth consistency. The resulting mixture should be smooth and not lumpy, and neither runny nor too thick. Divide the icing or glaze into small bowls and add your chosen food color. Put each glaze into a piping bag with a 2-3 mm nozzle and decorate the cookies as desired.
Last updated on November 29th, 2023 at 03:01 pm