Inspired by Ruth’s Chris’ legendary sweet potato casserole, this delicious side dish combines perfectly spiced sweet potato filling with a delightfully crunchy brown sugar and pecan topping. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any holiday gathering enjoy this delectable recipe that brings the restaurant experience to your home.
Thanksgiving and the holiday season are often hard for those who live in another country without their immediate family. Feelings of longing and loneliness are not uncommon when you live abroad but especially when there are celebrations and one is far away from their loved ones.
Such would have been our state, had we not been invited on a yearly basis by kind friends to celebrate Thanksgiving with them. Thus, we have never felt alone and on our own because we had friends who looked after us. What a blessing that has been!
Of course, I always make it a point to contribute something to the Thanksgiving menu! Oftentimes, I would bring about 2-3 dishes like lumpia (Filipino spring rolls), my famous Chocolate Pecan Pie, and a sweet potato casserole! Naturally, it is the Ruth’s Cris-inspired sweet potato casserole that I often bring because not only does my family love them, but our host family enjoys them, too!
So today, we dive into a world of comfort food with a twist – this Ruth’s Chris-inspired Sweet Potato Casserole! It is similar to a copycat of this famous recipe if you like, but it is also so much more. Not only are the ingredients similar but we attempt to elevate it some more by adding a few extra more, like some hints of spice here and there to bring out the sweetness and deliciousness of the main ingredient – sweet potatoes! And it works so brilliantly and the result is delicious!
Why You’ll love this Ruth’s Chris’-inspired Sweet Potato Casserole
Ruth’s Chris Copycat Sweet Potato Casserole is more than just a side dish; it’s a culinary masterpiece that brings warmth and comfort to any meal. What makes this casserole so special is the perfect balance of sweet, creamy, and nutty flavors. The silky smooth sweet potato filling is perfectly spiced and elevated by a crunchy, nut-studded pecan topping, creating a symphony of textures and tastes that dance on your palate. What’s more, it is such an easy sweet potato casserole recipe that anyone can make, whether you’re a novice or an expert in the kitchen!
Additionally, nothing beats a delicious homemade sweet potato casserole recipe where you actually know exactly what’s in the recipe which leaves no guesswork at all!
Whether you’re planning a Thanksgiving feast, a holiday gathering, or simply craving a taste of indulgence, this Ruth’s Chris-inspired side dish is a go-to option that never disappoints. By recreating the magic of Ruth’s Chris in your own kitchen, you can share the joy of this iconic dish with your loved ones any time of the year.
INGREDIENTS for Ruth’s Chris-Inspired Sweet Potato Casserole
Here’s a brief description of each of the ingredients for Ruth’s Chris Copycat Sweet Potato Casserole:
- Cooked and Mashed Sweet Potatoes: About 3-4 medium sweet potatoes, cooked until soft and then mashed to create a smooth, creamy base for the casserole.
- Granulated Sugar: A sweetening agent that adds sweetness to the sweet potato filling, balancing the flavors.
- Unsalted Butter (melted): Melted butter adds richness and a creamy texture to the sweet potato mixture, enhancing its flavor and consistency.
- Large Eggs (beaten): Beaten eggs act as a binding agent, helping to hold the casserole together and provide structure.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract infuses a pleasant, aromatic flavor into the sweet potato filling, adding depth and complexity to the dish.
- Milk: Used to thin out the sweet potato mixture, creating a smoother consistency. Whole milk or your preferred type can be used.
- Ground Cinnamon: A warm and aromatic spice that adds a delightful hint of sweetness and depth to the filling.
- Ground Nutmeg: A spice that contributes a subtle, nutty, and slightly sweet flavor, enhancing the overall warmth of the dish.
- Salt: Provides a balanced taste by enhancing the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes and spices, ensuring the flavors are well-rounded.
For the Pecan Topping:
- Chopped Pecans: Pecans are a key component of the topping, offering a delightful crunch and a rich, nutty flavor.
- Brown Sugar (packed): Brown sugar adds sweetness and a deep caramel-like flavor to the topping, creating a satisfying contrast with the sweet potato filling.
- All-Purpose Flour: Used to thicken the topping and create a crumbly, textured layer over the sweet potatoes.
- Unsalted Butter (melted): Melted butter in the topping not only binds the ingredients together but also adds a rich buttery flavor that complements the pecans.
These carefully selected ingredients come together to create a harmonious balance of flavors and textures in this delicious holiday casserole. Creamy and sweet, this holiday side dish is a must on anyone’s Thanksgiving table!
HOW TO MAKE this Ruth’s Chris-Inspired Sweet Potato Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease a baking dish (8×8 or similar size).
In a large bowl, combine the cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, melted butter, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, milk, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture is smooth.
Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the greased baking dish.
In a separate bowl, combine the chopped pecans, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and melted butter. Stir until the mixture forms a crumbly texture.
Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture in the baking dish.
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the pecan topping is golden brown and crispy. Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks to Make the Best Ruth’s Chris-Inspired Sweet Potato Casserole
- Choose Quality Ingredients: Use fresh sweet potatoes, high-quality butter, and fresh eggs for the best results.
- Bake Sweet Potatoes for Optimal Flavor: Baking sweet potatoes instead of boiling them enhances their natural sweetness and flavor.
- Mix Ingredients Thoroughly: Ensure all ingredients are well-mixed to create a smooth and creamy sweet potato filling.
- Season Mindfully: Balance the spices, sugar, and salt to achieve the perfect sweet and savory profile.
- Taste Test: Don’t be shy to taste the sweet potato mixture before baking to adjust the flavors to your liking.
- Create a Perfect Topping: Spread the pecan topping evenly to achieve a crunchy, golden-brown crust.
- Monitor Baking Time: Keep an eye on the casserole while baking to avoid overcooking, which can result in a dry dish.
- Serve Warm: The casserole is at its best when served warm, straight from the oven.
- Customize to Taste: Feel free to adjust the sweetness, spices, or nut topping according to your personal preferences.
- Share the Joy: This casserole is meant to be enjoyed with loved ones, so savor it together for an unforgettable dining experience.
In the world of comfort food, Ruth’s Chris-inspired or Copycat Sweet Potato Casserole stands as a shining star, embodying the essence of homemade goodness and culinary nostalgia. With this recipe in your repertoire, you can bring a touch of luxury and a whole lot of flavor to your table.
So, don’t wait for a special occasion – gather your ingredients, follow our simple steps, and indulge in the creamy, crunchy, and utterly irresistible world of sweet potato perfection. Once you savor that first bite, you’ll understand why this dish has remained a beloved favorite for generations. Enjoy!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Ruth’s Chris-Inspired Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, about 6 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk, whole milk or your preferred type
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Pecan Topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and lightly grease a baking dish (8×8 or similar size).
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked and mashed sweet potatoes, granulated sugar, melted butter, beaten eggs, vanilla extract, milk, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the greased baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the chopped pecans, brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and melted butter. Stir until the mixture forms a crumbly texture. Sprinkle the pecan topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the pecan topping is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Last updated on November 23rd, 2023 at 12:31 pm