When I was growing up, this was our fall back soup. When my Mom or our help either runs out of ideas or time to make something elaborate for dinner, you can be certain – Suam na Mais or Corn Soup would be on the table. Don’t get me wrong, I never had any issues or bad feelings about this soup even though I have had this so many times. In fact, I actually miss it as my Mom (or our former helpers) are not here to make this soup for me. This time, I have to make it for myself and my family.
The good thing is that this is such a simple recipe that anyone can make it. This particular version relies on frozen and canned corn kernels rather than the traditional way of using all fresh ingredients as it’s not always possible to get fresh sticky white corn. But if it’s summer time and there’s lots of corn available – feel free to use fresh corn and simply scrape the kernels from the cob using a knife. You would taste the difference as you will get all that juice from the fresh corn as well. But don’t despair if there’s no fresh corn available – the canned or frozen ones are fine, too. The added fish sauce and ginger really livens up the flavor. The local version calls for Malunggay (Asian Horseradish Tree) leaves to be added. Here I add spinach instead as that’s easier to find.
If you’re in the mood for trying a new soup recipe then certainly make this one. This is the kind of soup that you can enjoy all year through – use fresh corn in the summer (preferably the sticky white corn) or frozen and canned corn in the winter. Enjoy on its own or with some rice.
Corn and Spinach (Suam / Swam) Soup
By: Manila Spoon
April 8, 2015
With corn, spinach and meat and flavored with ginger for extra zing, this simple soup is tasty, healthy and easy to make.
- 1 lb ground Beef or Pork
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 inch-Ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce, or to taste
- 6 cups Beef broth or Water
- 1 cup (or 1 small can) cream style-Corn
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (unthawed)
- 1 (10 oz) pack Spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the ground pork or beef in a large pan. If your beef is extra-lean heat a little oil first. Stir to cook until the meat changes its color and starts releasing its fat.
- Add the garlic, onion and ginger. Cook until the onions are soft. Season with a little pepper and fish sauce.
- Add the broth or water. Bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
Add the corn and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir the spinach and cook just until wilted.
Correct the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot. You can have the soup on its own but in our house we have it with rice naturally. 🙂
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 50 Minutes
We would love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!