Matcha Green Tea provides a lovely contrast of flavors and colors in these delicious and fudgy brownies. One slice won’t be enough as it’s so yummy!
Hubby and I are both away from our respective families. His parents are in England while my family are all in the Philippines.
Hence it’s normal for us to often travel around the globe so we can visit our families. It is quite expensive to do that but we don’t mind as we miss our family and always love to see them.
Besides, it’s a good excuse to travel to other countries either on the way or while we are on that particular continent.
And that’s exactly what we did during our last trip to the Philippines in 2014 not only to visit my family but also to celebrate my parents’ 50th wedding anniversary. Isn’t that amazing? 50 years!
I pray that my marriage will, Lord-willing, last that long. What’s even more amazing, Mark’s parents celebrated their 50th-anniversary last year. Hubby and I have a tradition to uphold!
Anyway, it is so much cheaper to purchase flights from Manila to the rest of Asia so we try to schedule a little vacation time for me and hubby while we are there and also while we have my family who are more than willing to babysit our kids.
So, it’s a win-win situation right? I found ridiculously cheap flights to Thailand and Cambodia (though of course it’s red-eye flight but we didn’t mind!) so hubby and I took advantage and bought some tickets.
It was great to be back in Thailand, a special place in our hearts as we actually spent the first leg of our honeymoon tour here back in 2003. And of course since hubby and I are huge Thai food fanatics, we enjoyed as much Thai food as we can.
But one dessert that hubby tried and couldn’t forget which funny enough is not even Thai though we found it on a mall in Bangkok is this Green Tea Cream Cheese Brownies. He just loved it! He told – suggested – that I make it.
At this time I was loaded with Matcha powder which I brought home from Tokyo when I had a stop-over there so I willingly obliged. We have made this recipe a few times and enjoyed it very much! Hope you like it, too.
Green Tea Cream Cheese Brownies
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
By: Manila Spoon
April 18, 2015
Matcha Green Tea provides a lovely contrast of flavors and colors in these delicious and fudgy brownies. One slice won’t be enough!
FOR FULL RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS and to PRINT, SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW.
What are the INGREDIENTS for Green Tea Cream Cheese Brownies?
For Green Tea Cream Cheese Batter
- Cream Cheese – make sure it’s softened to room temperature to avoid lumps in the dough and make it really smooth
- All purpose Flour
- Egg – allow to reach room temperature before using
- Heavy or double Cream – this is also your whipping cream but use the liquid version and not the whipped one.
- Vanilla Extract
- Green Tea powder (Matcha) – the main ingredient and star of this yummy brownies. May be found in any tea shop or even at your groceries tea section. It can also be ordered online.
- Baking Powder
For Brownie Batter
- Dark Chocolate – I prefer this with at least 60% dark chocolate but a sweeter milk chocolate should be fine too if you like that.
- Unsalted Butter – use unsalted butter if possible because extra salt is added to enhance flavors.
- Eggs – allow to reach room temperature before using
- All-purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Salt – do not omit because even such a little amount helps to balance and enhance overall flavor of the brownies
Green Tea Cream Cheese Brownies
For Green Tea Cream Cheese Dough
- 4 oz (1/2 a block) Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp All-purpose Flour
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 3 tbsp Heavy or double Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp Green Tea powder (Matcha)
- ¼ tsp Baking Powder
For Brownie Dough
- 4 oz Dark Chocolate at least 60%
- 1 stick 1/2 cup unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 large Eggs
- 1/3 cup all purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 x 8 square pan or line with parchment paper.
- Using a mixer with paddle attachment beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth (no more lumps appear). Be patient with this. Beat in the egg. Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract. Sift the green tea, flour and baking powder into the batter and mix until combined. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a pan over very low heat. Stir to combine; remove from the heat. Cool for 1 minute. In a bowl, mix the chocolate with the sugar and eggs. Stir in the flour and salt until combined.
- Alternately spoon the brownie batter and the green tea batter in the prepared pan. It should look like a chess board or checker board with alternating colors. Don’t worry if they overlap as long as both batters are spread out evenly. Alternatively, spoon the brownie batter into the pan and simply spread the green tea batter on top. Using a butter knife, gently make a swirling pattern to create a marbled effect. Don’t swirl too much so the two batters don’t totally blend.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until it springs back slightly when touched. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Last updated on March 15th, 2022 at 10:43 am