Butter Cake – luxurious is this sponge cake with a generous coating of butter and sugar and a sprinkling of almonds for extra crunch! Serve warm, cold, or room temperature this Butter Cake is always moist and scrumptious!
I usually have a few posts waiting to be published. I like to prepare ahead, when I can, so I don’t panic when it’s time to post a new recipe. Since we are off to Europe in less than 2 weeks I thought it’s time to share this delicious and moist Butter Cake of German origin since we will be visiting Germany as part of our trip and it may help me get me into the mood. Truth is, I am panicking rather than feeling excited because there’s still so much to do before we go but am also hopeful things will all get done on time! We shall see!!!
Anyway, let’s go back to what this post was about. Saturday is baking day for me. This is when I usually prepare some sweet treats to bring to church on Sunday. Often it’s a baked good that can be enjoyed while we are having some coffee. Cake is always a good option because it can feed a good number of people and for this particular weekend, a few weeks ago now, I decided to make a Butter Cake.
The first time I made this recipe I wasn’t sure it would come out well. There was admittedly an awful lot of butter in the original recipe (after all it’s a butter cake!) and generous amounts of sugar, too. I tweaked it a little, just a few minor adjustments on the amount of ingredients and a little on the technique as I didn’t use any electric mixer but I certainly didn’t want to compromise on the taste.
The cake came out really moist but I wasn’t so sure if everyone would love the taste even though I myself liked it. I almost decided not to bring it to church for I was thinking, what if it was awful? Anyway, I didn’t want to eat up the whole pan so I thought I have to share this for sure! I told myself, I will just be quiet, stay in the corner and just hope no one will complain.
Thankfully, it was well-received and enjoyed and I was truly pleasantly surprised. Those who ate the cake came up to me and asked what kind of cake it was. They said it was moist and particularly loved the crunch from the almonds. Well, I didn’t mince words, I said – “Butter Cake – there’s lots of butter in there and nuts that’s why it is so good.” We all had a laugh and all had a “yummy” time enjoying the cake. I hope you do, too!
Recipe adapted from Bake (Butter Cake recipe) by Edward Gee.
Scrumptious Butter Cake
By: Manila Spoon
July 21, 2015
A sponge cake with a generous coating of butter and sugar and a sprinkling of almonds for extra crunch this lovely Butter Cake is perfectly moist and scrumptious! Your taste buds will love this luxurious cake!
- 2 cups all purpose or plain Flour plus a little extra for dusting
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup granulated Sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Butter, softened plus extra for greasing
- 1 cup Half and Half (single cream)
For the Topping
- 3/4 cup granulated Sugar
- 2 cups slivered Almonds
- 2 Tablespoons whole Milk
- 1 1/4 cup Butter, melted and divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease with butter a 12 by 8 baking dish. Dust with a little flour and shake off the excess.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, softened butter and half and half. Mix the dry and wet ingredients until well-blended.
- Spread it evenly in the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take out of the oven but do not turn the oven off.
- As the cake bakes, prepare the topping. Place the sugar, slivered almonds, milk and half the melted butter in a bowl and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Once the cake is out, drizzle the remaining melted butter on top. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the cake. Press it gently on the semi-baked cake. Return to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan. Slice into squares and serve with coffee!
Yield: 12-16 slices
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
Total Time: 60 Minutes
We love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!