All the flavors of your favorite apple pie and the delicious Dutch-style crumb topping make these bar cookies exceptionally yummy! Easy to make as well – Dutch Apple Pie Bars!
Apple Pie….who can resist this delicious fall favorite? I surely can’t!
I definitely crave this delicious dessert especially in Autumn but sometimes I don’t feel like going through the trouble of making a pastry dough from scratch or even using a store-bought one. Thankfully, these delicious apple pie bars come to the rescue!
I love the combination of cinnamon and nutmeg so I used both to flavor the apples. Also, I love its buttery crumbly Dutch-style topping as it’s so easy to make as well.
Yup, it’s even easier than rolling a pie dough! 🙂 How convenient is that?
My little boy and hubby feasted on these scrumptious bars so I am glad I made 2 batches as I knew one just wouldn’t be enough.
I am grateful for this recipe which I found on our church cookbook from Holland, Michigan (definitely Dutch country!) and from now on this is how we will enjoy the fresh apples this fall season and beyond.
Doesn’t that look good? It comes out moist and full of juicy apple deliciousness for sure! Hope you like it, too!
All that crumbly deliciousness!!! Enjoy these yummy apple pie bars, fall season, or not!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Dutch Apple Pie Bars
By: Manila Spoon
October 21, 2015
All the flavors of your favorite apple pie and the delicious Dutch-style crumb topping make these bar cookies exceptionally yummy! Easy to make as well!
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar (x2 divided)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 2 cups thinly sliced, peeled tart apples (like Granny Smith)
For the Crumb Topping
- 2/3 cup Flour
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter, room temperature
- Butter a 9×9 square baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Mix the 1 cup flour and 1/3 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly with the use of 2 knives or a pastry blender. Press into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the apples to coat. Spoon over the baked layer.
- Mix the crumb toppings until crumbly. Sprinkle over the apples. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the apples are soft. Cool completely and cut into bars. Enjoy!
Yield: 16 Bars
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45-55 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour and 10-15 Minutes
This recipe was adapted from Cooking with Friends Cookbook by the ladies of the Harbor Church, Holland, MI.