This slow cooker crack chicken recipe is so popular because it’s crazy easy to make with only 5 basic ingredients, 5 minutes prep time, and absolutely delicious, too. So versatile, it’s a yummy dinner option served with rice, or in a bun, or as topping for baked potatoes, plus so much more.
We are about to embark on a major house renovation pretty soon so I have been gathering recipes that are quick to prepare, easy to make, with no long list of ingredients, and most of all, very tasty, too!
I have seen this delicious and creamy, cheesy-looking chicken dish online funnily named “crack chicken” and have always been intrigued as to why it’s named as such.
When I saw the basic crack chicken recipe, I happily thought to myself that I found the recipe that perfectly complies with all my requirements above! Yay! I hoped and prayed that it would taste as good as it looked!
It tasted as yummy as I expected (savory, creamy and cheesy-licious!) though I had to make minor adjustments to the basic recipe to suit my family’s tastebuds.
I have read many comments that it was a bit salty because of the amount of cheese used in proportion to the amount of chicken. Here is where I made some adjustment as I’m no fan of anything too salty.
Instead of using 2 full blocks of cream cheese, I decided to use only one block. After all, I am also adding some chicken broth (also salted) plus the ranch seasoning (obviously salted, too) and some more cheddar cheese on top! That’s a lot of saltiness already right there so I found the addition of another block of cream cheese would have been too much for me or my family.
I’m happy to report that it came out deliciously good! For us, it was just about the right level of saltiness – not too much and certainly not bland.
With that minor adjustment, I can now honestly say, this is why it’s crack – as it’s totally more-ish and even habit-forming (in a good way!).
The best part is the ease of cooking! Simply dump in the slow cooker and go back when it’s done. In the meantime, enjoy the delicious aroma of cheesy deliciousness that wafts through the air as it cooks!
Wow, it made me so hungry and crave for it! I could tell by then that dinner would be delicious. It certainly was for all of us!
I am so happy that in the next few days, weeks perhaps when I won’t have much access to the kitchen, I’m glad I can still make a delicious dinner for my family! Win-win!
HOW DO YOU SERVE THIS SLOW COOKER CRACK CHICKEN?
- With rice – rice pairs well with creamy crack chicken because it doesn’t compete but highlights the yummy flavor of this dish.
- With pasta or noodles – pasta would perfectly absorb all the yummy flavors and cut down on the richness of the dish.
- With mashed potatoes – much like rice, it would perfectly complement its rich flavor.
- Inside buns or bread – makes a deliciously creamy, cheesy sandwich.
- On top of baked potatoes – fully-load your baked potatoes with a this tasy filling. Add some chopped green onions on top.
- Serve with savory crackers – use as topping or on the side because it makes a very tasty, creamy dip indeed!
- Wrapped in lettuce – for a perfectly low-carb, gluten-free meal!
Easy Slow Cooker Crack Chicken
This slow cooker crack chicken recipe is so popular because it's crazy easy to make with only 5 basic ingredients, 5 minutes prep time, and absolutely delicious, too. So versatile, it's a yummy dinner option served with rice, or in a bun, or as topping for baked potatoes, plus so much more.
- 4 pieces chicken breasts (about 3 lbs more or less), skinless and boneless
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 oz package cream cheese, divided into 4 portions or cubed
- 1 oz packet dry ranch seasoning (or 3 tablespoons dry ranch seasoning)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 bunch green onions or scallions, (optional) thinly sliced
Shred the chicken and mix all ingredients until incorporated. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese all over. Cover again and continue to cook just until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle all over with sliced green onions, if desired.
Serve immediately and pair with rice, pasta, or mashed/baked potatoes with some green veggies on the side. It's great as a party appetizer too when served with your favorite savory crackers.