This sweet and super lemony gooey cake is sure to impress everyone! Best of all, it’s crazy easy to make.
If you’ve been a follower of this blog for quite some time, you would have noticed that I use a lot of lemons in my recipes, both savory and sweet.
I just love the fresh, tangy and strong citrus flavor that lemons add to any dish or baked goods. Without lemons, certain recipes may taste bland but just a few drops or squeezes of fresh lemon juice can liven it up!
I love using lemons for sweet desserts because it not only cuts on the richness of any sugary treat, but also gives a delicious flavor contrast and vibrancy that enhances the overall flavor! The more lemony flavor I taste, it gets so much better in my opinion.
On the other hand, lemons added to savory recipes improve their overall flavor profile and bring them from bland to delicious! This is especially the reason why I love adding a few squeezes of lemon juice on curries and stews at the end of cooking.
I add a little bit of lemon when I feel the dish needs a lift. More often than not, just a small amount goes a long way and the dish suddenly tastes fresh and vibrant!
This lemon cake gets its potent deliciousness from a good amount of lemon curd added to it. Just one bite and you’d taste the perfect balance of sweet-tangy flavors!
It’s just so delicious that I’d bet, you’d want another slice after eating one. It is rich and robust so you can easily divide the cake into 8-10 servings!
I love this with a cup of tea. What a yummy combo indeed.
So now, let’s go and make it!
FOR FULL RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS and to PRINT, SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW.
What are the INGREDIENTS for Best Lemon Curd Cake?
- All-purpose flour
- Baking Powder – make sure it’s still fresh and potent.
- Salt – do not omit as it helps cut on the richness of the cake and enhances its overall flavor.
- Sugar – use granulated or superfine white sugar.
- Butter – make sure it’s at room temperature before using. You can use eithe salted or unsalted butter.
- Eggs – use large size eggs and bring them to room temperature before using.
- Lemon curd – use your favorite store brand or make it homemade.
- Confectioners’ sugar – (also known as powdered sugar). This is optional but may be used for dusting the cake.
How do you make Best Lemon Curd Cake?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper or grease the cake pan with butter.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and butter until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of the lemon curd. Mix well.
- Fold in the flour into the egg mixture until well-blended.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Drop by teaspoons-full the remaining lemon curd spreading it randomly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top though it may still jiggle a little. Leave the cake to cool in the pan. Turn out, remove the baking paper (if used), then dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar, if desired.
Does this cake keep well?
This cake is best enjoyed on the day it’s made. However, should you have leftovers, another day of keeping it should be fine, too and should not dry out the cake if stored in an air-tight container. Am not sure it would be great to keep another day later. Worse comes to worst, serve the leftover cake with some cream or ice cream and that should help, too.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Best Lemon Curd Cake
This sweet and super lemony gooey cake is sure to impress everyone! Best of all, it's crazy easy to make.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour,
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 6 oz butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 12 oz lemon curd (store-bought or homemade) divided
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper or grease the cake pan with butter.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Beat the sugar and butter until well combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of the lemon curd. Mix well.
Fold in the flour into the egg mixture until well-blended.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan. Drop by teaspoons-full the remaining lemon curd spreading it randomly over the top of the cake.
Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown on top though it may still jiggle a little. Leave the cake to cool in the pan. Turn out, remove the baking paper (if used), then dust with sifted confectioners' sugar, if desired.
TIPS & TRICKS
The cake shrinks as it cools down but it rises up while being baked. If using an 8-inch cake pan, place it above a baking sheet in case the cake bubbles over, or simply use a 9-inch pan.
This recipe was adapted from Food 52 – Best Lemon Curd Cake.
Oh, goodness, that looks and sounds absolutely amazing! I love lemon curd…can’t wait to give this recipe a try.
Thanks and hope you enjoy!
Hi Andrea, Thanks for your message. Sorry to hear that, I didn’t have an issue with mine and the cake actually shrinks once it’s out in the oven. However, I will update the recipe and add this in the notes section so people can either use an 8-inch pan with a sheet or a 9-inch pan. Thank you for pointing this out. Hope you enjoyed the cake.
Absolutely loved this recipe, super easy to follow, even with limited time as I have a newborn!
Everyone who tried it really enjoyed it too, they commented on the lovely soft sponge with a nice crisper outside. Flavour was lovely too.
Is the curd measured in flow ounces or weight?
can anything else work besides lemon?
It is a lemon cake so if you don’t use lemons, it won’t be a lemon cake anymore. If you are looking for something citrusy but not lemony you can try this – https://www.manilaspoon.com/2012/11/portuguese-style-orange-cake.html If not, please look at our recipe index and check under cake and you might find a cake you are looking for.
I have baked this cake 3 times now and it’s always been a hit with family and friends.
I am so delighted to know this! You totally made my day! Thank you so much for letting us know!