Champorado (Filipino Chocolate Rice Porridge/Pudding)

Sticky rice cooked in coconut milk and chocolate. Champorado is the ultimate breakfast sweet treat.  Serve with ice cream and it’s a yummy dessert!

Sticky rice cooked in coconut milk and chocolate. The ultimate breakfast sweet treat or serve with ice cream and it's a yummy dessert - Champorado!

Back in the Philippines, I remember those lazy Saturdays when you can get up later than usual, have a leisurely breakfast and just relax. For those days, what I fancy is a piping hot bowl of one of our classic Filipino breakfasts — Champorado or chocolate rice porridge (yes, we do have a breakfast dish that doesn’t involve fried rice or eggs or even meat….yes, admittedly there is rice but at least it’s not fried!).

Who can resist chocolate rice? I can’t!

This version is more luxurious than the traditional champorado! The usual champorado is simply cooked in water and flavored with cocoa powder or chocolate tablet called “tablea” and sweetened with a little sugar. In fact, when my hubby tasted it he thought I should serve it more as a dessert rather than as breakfast. Oh well, for me it’s good either way!

Instead of using just water to cook the rice, I added a combination of coconut milk and evaporated milk at the end for extra creaminess and taste. It came out really yummy and enhanced the flavor of the chocolate. It was totally more-ish!!

Enjoy this champorado either at breakfast or after a meal as a dessert. Top it with with vanilla ice cream or even chocolate chips if you are feeling really indulgent!

Ultimate Champorado (Filipino Chocolate Rice Porridge/Pudding)

Sticky rice cooked in coconut milk and chocolate. The ultimate breakfast sweet treat or serve with ice cream and it’s a yummy dessert – Champorado!

Course Breakfast, Dessert
Cuisine Asian, Philippines
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 8 Servings
Author Manila Spoon

• 2 cups white glutinous or sticky Rice
  • 1/2 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
  • 3 cups Water
  • 1 (12 oz) can Evaporated Milk
  • 1 (14 oz) can Coconut Milk
  • 1/2 cup brown Sugar, or to taste
  • 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips

1. Wash and drain the rice well. Place in a large deep pan and mix with the unsweetened cocoa powder. Pour in the water and stir.

2. Bring to a boil. Once it starts boiling, adjust heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has mostly dried up and the rice is tender about 30-40 minutes.

3. Pour in the evaporated milk and coconut milk. Add the brown sugar and chocolate chips. Stir until everything is combined and the color is even. Continue to cook uncovered for another 10 minutes or so on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the consistency and thickness is to your liking and the milk has been fully heated through. If it’s too thick simply dilute with a little water or milk. Adjust sweetness to your taste.

4. Serve in individual bowls with additional milk and sugar on the side and perhaps a few sprinkling of extra chocolate chips! Traditionally, we eat it with dried salted fish. But, you don’t have to! For dessert, serve warm and top with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!

If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to join our site or like us on Facebook. Thank you so much for dropping by! Have a wonderful time browsing!

Enjoy this yummy chocolatey treat!

1. November 20, 2012 / 1:40 am

This looks so good. I have pinned it for later use! Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful recipe to my Birthday Party on facebook!
    Cynthia at

• November 20, 2012 / 3:28 am

Thanks, Cynthia! Glad you like it.

2. January 27, 2013 / 2:42 am

Good for how many people?

• January 27, 2013 / 2:46 am

I would guess 4-6 or perhaps more…depending on how big the serving bowl is too.

3. January 29, 2013 / 12:18 am

Would I be able to convert to dairy free?

• January 29, 2013 / 2:24 am

I don't see why not. Perhaps you can try rice, almond or soy milk. I just don't know which one will taste better.

4. Anonymous
    May 11, 2013 / 10:59 pm

Could I use CalRose rice? My mother in law is always telling me how her mom made chocolate rice for her breakfast. She says it was because they were farmers and poor, but this looks decadent! I would love to bring back memories for her (she's filipino) as she glows when she recounts the memories of her mom doing this but I only have half and half and heavy cream and almond milk on hand. And CalRose rice. I know the rice you're talking about as we use it for Biko (spelled wrong I am sure) and also I have brown rice. Also, any chance of making this in the rice cooker?

• July 18, 2013 / 11:42 am

You can try half and half and cream, am sure that's fine. I haven't tried regular rice with this, I believe sticky rice is always used for this. I would suggest cooking it in a regular pot/sauce pan 'cause unlike regular rice, the liquid should not fully dry but when you decide to try it as you have suggested do let us know how it went. Thanks!

5. October 5, 2013 / 3:52 am

I have never made rice pudding, but I think I will try this recipe – sounds so natural and delicious too!

6. March 4, 2014 / 3:19 am

Delicious!! My husband spent two years in the Philippines on his mission and used to have this for breakfast sometimes. We made it tonight and our whole family loved it! We had it as more of a dessert and so used the full can of coconut milk and evaporated milk. Plus I had to add quite a bit of regular milk as it was cooking because it was getting so thick. We served it with extra milk and a few chocolate chips on top (like your picture) and it was excellent! We'll definitely be making it again. Thanks for the recipe!!

• April 7, 2015 / 2:12 pm

Robin, I am so delighted to know that you enjoyed the recipe with your family. It must have been like going down memory lane for your husband when he had champorado.

7. BL
    January 8, 2015 / 9:22 pm

8. Anonymous
    March 15, 2015 / 7:16 am

In Mindanao, we use condense milk instead of evaporated milk and draw designs on top of the champorado spiraling it and using toothpicks to create effects in the spiral. Like spider web. This is delicious. We used fresh creamy goat milk and save coconut milk from the ones we cut. Also top off with macapuno shavings. Salamat

• April 7, 2015 / 2:10 pm

That sounds delicious, too and love the artistic spin on top. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

9. March 13, 2016 / 7:00 am

My MIL tells me all the time how they were so poor, as her parents were asparagus farmers and her mom would make tons of food for the workers, whom usually were Filipinos who came over and her dad helped them learn English and get their citizenship back in the 40s. So often times she had chocolate rice for breakfast. I would love to make this for her. Also, beco as she and I both LOVE beco. Hubby hates it lol

• March 14, 2016 / 2:47 am

Hope you and your MIL enjoy this! Thanks for the story too. What a memory!