It’s already Peach season (woohoo!!!) so I thought it is just the right time to share a post about one of my favorite summer fruits – juicy and delicious peaches! While we often end up just eating the ripe, plump peaches on their own unadorned, occasionally, we use them for making delicious desserts, too. One of the easiest and quickest dessert I make with peaches is Peach Melba.
Peach Melba is essentially peaches with raspberry sauce and served with ice cream. A very simple and yet delicious recipe that’s summer perfect. This dessert was created by a French chef in honor of Nellie Melba, a soprano, who performed at an opera in Covent Garden in 1892. I didn’t know this fact until I actually made Peach Melba and was intrigued to find out its origin. I will be quite excited to pass by Covent Garden when we go to London this August and remember this and perhaps even have a cuppa at the Savoy Hotel where the chef first made this dessert. I wonder if they still serve it there! 🙂
For this particular recipe, you can either broil the peaches (if it’s not too hot to turn the oven on or if you have a separate broiler) or simply give the peaches a quick grill to let out all it’s juicy flavors. The photos show the broiled peaches but I hope to update this with some grilled ones, too. If you wish to include the skin, make sure to use organic peaches and preferably organic raspberries for the sauce, too. I also used mango ice cream here and thought that it would nicely complement the peaches but feel free to use plain vanilla ice cream, too. Whether you broil or grill the peaches, this dessert is really refreshing and delicious! Make it while peaches are in season.
Quick and Easy Peach Melba
By: Manila Spoon
July 8, 2015
Quick and easy, delicious summer recipe made from grilled or broiled peaches, served with ice cream then drizzled with fresh raspberry sauce – yummy Peach Melba!
- 4 ripe Peaches, halved and pitted
- 2 Tablespoons melted Butter (if grilling peaches)
- 1 pint fresh Raspberries (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup granulated Sugar (or honey, to taste)
- Mango or Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the broiler. Place the peach halves, cut-sides up, on a baking/cookie sheet. Broil for 3-4 minutes until warmed up and softened slightly.
- Alternatively, preheat a grill to medium-high heat. Brush the peach halves with melted butter and grill for 3 to 4 minutes or until they are tender.
- While the peaches are broiling or grilling, place the raspberries and sugar in a food processor or blender and process until pureed. Adjust the sweetness to your taste. To make a smoother sauce, strain to remove the seeds. Use the remaining puree.
- Transfer the peaches to serving plates and then top each with a scoop of ice cream. Drizzle over the raspberry sauce. Enjoy immediately! So easy and quick!
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 3-4 Minutes
Total Time: 19 Minutes
We love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!