Delicious and easy to make Dutch Baby Pancake loaded with cinnamon spiced Apples and Bananas! So yummy and perfect for breakfast or brunch!
I have been desiring to make Dutch Baby Pancakes for the longest time but for whatever reason, I never got to. Sad. However,this day was meant to be the day to do it. Sophie, my little girl, approached me this morning and asked me what was for breakfast. She was usually content with cereals or oatmeal and anything with yogurt but today she requested something different. When I mentioned pancakes, she was immediately delighted. I told her, when the idea of Dutch baby pancake popped into my mind, that she may have to wait a little because this is not the regular pancake and it required some baking. She seemed excited about the idea of a new kind of pancake so didn’t mind waiting a little at all.
However, I didn’t want to simply make a plain Dutch pancake but wanted something fruity to go with it. Usually, one bakes a Dutch pancake and then simply fold it with some fruit filling or after it;s been cooked it’s dusted with sugar or topped with fruits and cream. For this time, I wanted to try baking the fruits with the cake. I wasn’t sure how it would work but hey, it’s a worth a try, right? And, I am glad I did! Sophie and the rest of us totally loved it. The fruit filling baked with the pancaked worked really well. I guess, the only downside, if you can call it that – is that you may have to wait a minute or 2 as it’s quite hot when it gets out of the oven especially with the filling baked in. But, it’s worth the wait for sure! It almost reminds me of a clafoutis (one of my favorite desserts!!), a French tart baked with fruits in sweet batter as the pancake bottom, made moist by the filling tastes and feels like custard. Yum!
Above you can see what it looks like before it’s baked. I simply scatter the cinnamon spiced fresh fruits leaving a little space near the edge to give the pancake some room to puff-up. And when it’s done, take it out of the oven and simply dust with icing sugar and enjoy!!
Dutch Baby Pancake with Spiced Apples and Bananas
By: Manila Spoon
Delicious and easy to make Dutch Baby Pancake loaded with cinnamon spiced Apples and Bananas! Perfect for breakfast or brunch!
- 2 Large Eggs (or 3 small ones)
- 1/2 cup all purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Butter, divided
- 2 small tart Apples, cored and sliced into chunks (I like the skin in)
- 2 ripe Bananas, sliced
- 3-4 Tablespoons Sugar (I use 1 tbsp brown and 2 tbsp white), or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- Confectioner’s or Icing Sugar, for dusting or sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the sliced apples and bananas, sugar and ground cinnamon to the melted butter and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the apples have softened but not mushy. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the flour, milk and salt and mix everything until blended.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in an oven-proof skillet. Pour the prepared batter into the skillet and then drop the apples and banana by spoonfuls scattering them all over the batter saving about 1/2 an inch or so from the edge. (See photo above) Bake in the preheated oven until the pancake is nicely browned and puffed-up about 25 – 30 minutes. Oven heating varies so adjust time accordingly. Mine was perfect at 25 minutes exactly. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar on top and serve immediately.
Yield: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 25 mins.
Total time: 40 mins.
Tags: Pancake, Dutch Baby, Breakfast, Brunch, Easy, Recipe