This quick, easy and tasty Sausage and Cabbage Soup is made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) for a dish that’s on the table in 30 minutes!
It’s still summery out there, I know, but before you know it, the cold weather would just sneak up on us. Thus, I have been doing my preparations in advance making some soup recipes that we can count on to give up warmth and comfort during the coming chilly weather!
Thankfully, I have been gifted an instant pot for my birthday several months ago and what handy kitchen equipment it is indeed in making soups!
I have only used it a few times but every time it has been a success and I can imagine many uses for this in the coming days for sure.
Love that I don’t have to labor for hours peering over the stovetop to see how my dish is doing. Literally, in minutes I can have a perfectly cooked dinner and I really love that!!
Now, this soup came about simply because I had some cabbage to use up. We bought some sausages the other day and thought it might be a good idea to combine the two in a dish.
Soup was the easiest I could think of. I did a quick internet search and found a recipe with both sausage and cabbage and used caraway seeds for flavoring. I have never tried using caraway seeds before so I was intrigued.
After a little more research I learned that you don’t need to add a lot of it in cooking because it’s quite potent so I settled for about 1 1/2 teaspoons.
Wow, the flavor it added to the soup is truly delicious!! It has that anise seed kind of flavor but just a subtle hint and wasn’t overpowering at all.
I think, I will now be adding it in all soups!! LOL. Anyway, glad I discovered this seed as I don’t think the soup would have been as tasty without it — probably still good, possibly, but with a slight difference in taste.
Anyway, have you made soup with caraway seeds before?
If you don’t have an instant pot – no worries as this soup can still easily be made in any deep pot on the stove pot. Certainly, adjust the amount of ingredients and flavorings depending on your family’s preference. Enjoy the last remaining days of summer!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above printer icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Instant Pot Sausage and Cabbage Soup
By: Manila Spoon
August 24, 2017
This quick, easy and tasty soup is made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) for a dish that’s on the table in 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pound ground Italian or your favorite Sausage
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 cup Celery, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried Caraway Seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Oregano
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 small head of Cabbage, chopped
- 2 medium Carrots, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Turn the instant pot to Saute. Heat the oil. Brown the sausages.
- Add the garlic, onion, and celery. Cook until onions are beginning to soften about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the caraway seeds and dried oregano (or Italian seasoning). Give a quick stir. Pour in the broth. Scrape the bottom to release any brown bits.
- Close lid making sure vent is closed. Adjust the setting to high pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
- When cooking time is up, release pressure, open lid then add the remaining vegetables – cabbage and carrots. Give it a quick stir.
- Close lid, again making sure the vent is closed. Cook on high for another 5 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, release the pressure one more time. Uncover and season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 25-30 Minutes