What a fun and delicious treat to make for summer especially for Memorial Day and 4th of July! With a crunchy cookie crust, yummy lemon cream cheese frosting as base and the freshest strawberries and blueberries as topping – these red, white and blue mini sweet pizzas are totally scrumptious!
Well, it’s almost the 4th of July! Usually, at around this time my family would be away on a holiday in the UK visiting Mark’s mom. With the corona virus pandemic, this did not become a reality this year so we’re all at home this weekend to celebrate America’s Independence Day!
Because two of our family members are born American and we’ve been in the US for about 16 years, we have decided that this year we should join in the celebrations!
Truth is, it’s a double celebration for my family during the 4th of July. It is not just because it’s America’s birthday but guess what – it’s also Filipino-American Friendship Day. That is how we celebrate July 4 in the Philippines.
I’ll share a little historical note here. on July 4, 1946, by virtue of the Tydings-McDuffie Act (ha! I still remember my Philippine history!) the USA finally granted the Philippines its independence. I don’t know exactly why they decided to give us independence on their independence day! Perhaps it’s easier to remember it that way! Ha.
So for many years, the Philippines celebrated its independence day the same day that the US celebrated its independence day. However, in 1962, when Philippine President Diosdado Macapagal came into office, he moved the date from July 4 to June 12. He declared that July 4 was not the right day for Filipinos to celebrate their independence since it somehow connoted subjection and dependence to the United States.
Besides, the Philippines actually gained its independence on June 12, 1898, the day when the first Philippine Republic, led by President Emilio Aguinaldo was established. I am personally in favor of the June 12 declaration.
But, all is not in vain because to this day we continue to recognize July 4 as Filipino-American Friendship Day so either way, there’s a cause for celebration!
To celebrate these two joyous occasions, Sophie and I decided to make something delicious and with a patriotic flair, of course. But, naturally, we didn’t want anything to difficult to make – it should be something fun, easy to make and tasty, too!
After a quick internet search, we settled on making these delicious patriotic mini fruit pizzas as they look so cute and were crazy easy to make!
We decided not to make our own cookie crust from scratch because it was meant to be an easy and quick treat so we used a ready made sugar cookie dough. I also had a recipe for a yummy lemon cream cheese frosting which I thought would be perfect to use as the pretend pizza sauce or base that would go well with the fruits. Finally, it was just a matter of buying the freshest and juiciest berries to go on top of the fruit pizza, and then we’re all set! Easy-peasy, right?
Wishing you all dear readers a Happy 4th of July and Filipino-American Friendship Day! Let’s rejoice in these two momentous occasions! Enjoy the fruity pizzas!
Patriotic Mini Fruit Pizza
- 1 16 oz roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough
For Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioner’s or powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups blueberries, rinsed
- 2 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- Make the cookie crust. Unwrap the roll of cookie dough and slice equally into 20-22 pieces. Place in a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 325 F and bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are brown. Alternatively, follow the baking instructions on the cookie dough wrapper. Allow the cookies to cool down completely in a wire rack.
- Make the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually stir in the confectioner’s sugar and the lemon juice. Mix just until everything is combined and has reached a smooth consistency.
- To decorate the cookies. Spread just enough frosting on the cookie crust. Decorate with a few blueberries and strawberries on top. Be creative and do your own design.
Last updated on May 8th, 2023 at 09:24 pm