So luscious and full of chocolate deliciousness this Molten Chocolate Lava Cake is quick and easy to make! Now you can make your favorite restaurant version right at your home and in the air fryer!
We’ve bought an air fryer months ago, I believe during the height of the pandemic. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about.
At first, I wasn’t entirely sure if it was worth getting it or if I would even use it since I already have a conventional oven, instant pot, and slow cooker. Did I really need to add another cooking appliance to all that?
To help me decide, I made an informal poll on my personal Facebook page and asked my friends what they thought of buying an air fryer and what brand they would recommend if any.
I was surprised that many actually responded to my query and told me about the type of air fryer I should get. There were also some vocal objectors and thought it was redundant and a regular oven would be enough for my needs.
Some said they didn’t like the idea that you still had to shake the air fryer basket in the midst of cooking. They thought it was too much effort!!! I was totally amused by that reasoning!
At any rate, I listened more to the majority who all highly recommended getting an air fryer!
I definitely did not regret the decision and even wondered – why only now did I decide to get this miracle worker (or at least a very efficient assistant in the kitchen!). I wasn’t bothered that occasionally I had to shake, shake, shake the basket (only 1-2 shakes are enough actually!) because in deep frying with oil – you actually need to move things around too so food cooks evenly! It wasn’t even any huge effort at all!
I’ve cooked so many things in the air fryer – from fries, to bread of many types, even donuts, pork belly, chicken and so much more and I’m always happy with the results. Most of all, no tons of oil are needed so it’s healthier and in fact, food tastes good, too. Win-win indeed.
I especially love to use it for reheating left-over pizza and ribs! So good!
Since it’s almost Valentine’s Day, I decided to make something for my hubby. I thought I would try to make one of his favorite desserts in the air fryer – Molten Chocolate Lava Cake! It’s been a while since he had this dessert and I thought this informal holiday would be the perfect occasion for this!
As you can see in the photos, it came out perfectly! And oh how delicious it was, too! The first couple of photos show that I used a heart-shaped mold appropriate for the occasion. I also made it using regular ramekins and they both came out yummy with that melted chocolate oozing out of the hot cake!
Whether it’s Valentine’s Day or not, this is must-make dessert when you suddenly have a strong chocolate craving! It doesn’t take long to prep and since you are using the air fryer – baking is even quicker!
No air fryer? No problem. You can make the chocolate lava cake in a conventional oven. Find the recipe here.
Air Fryer Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- 5 oz dark or milk chocolate bar (your choice), chopped or broken in pieces
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter, sliced into several pieces
- 1 cup confectioner’s or powdered Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp flour
- Preheat air fryer to 380 F. Grease or spray about 4 custard molds/cups or ramekins with a non-stick spray. You may also dust the ramekins with some cocoa powder.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the broken chocolate and butter slices. Microwave on high power in 30-second intervals, stirring well in between just until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- No microwave? Simply melt the butter and chocolate using the double boiler method. If doing the double boiler method, place the butter and chocolate in a stainless steel bowl above a saucepan with barely simmering water. Make sure the bowl does not touch the water. Let the chocolate and butter melt. Mix until smooth.
- Add the powdered or confectioner’s sugar then whisk together until smooth. Add the 2 eggs and the 2 egg yolks then whisk together again until smooth. Stir in the flour just until combined.
- Divide the chocolate batter evenly among the 4 custard molds or ramekins. Bake in the preheated air fryer for about 9-11 minutes, or until the sides are firm but still soft in the center. Air fryer brands vary in their heating so adjust timing accordingly.
- Let cool for about 2 minutes (set the timer so you won’t forget!). Thereafter, invert the cakes onto serving plates. They should release very quickly. Serve with ice cream on top and drizzle with extra chocolate sauce, if desired. Enjoy right away!
Last updated on February 8th, 2022 at 08:19 pm