Sweet, fruity with a hint of lemony tang and perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg this Apple Crisp is simply the best! What a delicious holiday dessert for fall, Christmas, and any day.
A few days ago our very kind neighbors gave us a bag of apples. They were quite a lot and we knew we wouldn’t be able to eat it all of it in one go so I had to think of other ways to enjoy these juicy apples.
I have made several recipes using apples before and didn’t fancy simply re-creating them. I was suddenly in the mood for doing something I hadn’t done yet.
I know that my little boy is crazy about apple crisp and a lady from our church makes the tastiest and most amazing apple crisp – the best I have tried.
When she brought over her apple crisp for our ladies’ fellowship I asked her what she added in her recipe that made it so fresh and truly flavorful.
She kindly told me she used fresh lemon juice and a combo of cinnamon and nutmeg. The best part for me was that her recipe was also completely gluten-free which means my whole family could enjoy it as one of us is trying to do a more wheat-free diet.
And so I set to re-create her amazing apple crisp and I believe I did it – well, the measurement may not be exactly the same but the delicious sweet-tangy flavors are certainly there!
For the apples, I sometimes cut them in chunks or I simply slice them as you can see from the first image. How you like your apple cut is up to you. I fancy some crunch on the apples as I bite them (don’t like mushy!) so I don’t make them too small.
What I did was really use a lot of lemon juice. While other recipes called for perhaps just a little tiny bit of lemon juice if at all, I used the juice of an entire lemon (quite smallish) or roughly 2 tablespoons at least. I also upped the cinnamon to 2 teaspoons and used 1/2 a teaspoon of nutmeg.
I know this amount may seem a lot for just 4 apples but trust me, once it’s all baked and done – the flavors just truly sing especially when you enjoy the crisp with a little cream (I prefer this!) or ice cream.
What a delicious contrast of flavors and because the apples are strongly flavored – it doesn’t get lost in the ice cream – it’s still quite prominent and so yummy!
Instead of simply layering the oat mixture on top of the apples, I gently mix the topping and filling here and there (see photo above) – not entirely.
This is to ensure the apples don’t get too gooey or mushy when baked. But, this is a matter of style so it’s totally optional. You can simply just dump the oat topping on top of the apples and be done with it.
The result is a delicious apple crisp that not only has the signature crunch but is truly full of flavors – sweet, fruity with a hint of lemony tang, and perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, too.
You definitely must enjoy this warm and drizzled on top with either some pouring (heavy) cream or ice cream! Pure heaven!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Sweet, fruity with a hint of lemony tang and perfectly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg this Apple Crisp is simply the best! Completely gluten-free, too.
By: Manila Spoon
November 4, 2015
FOR FULL RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS and to PRINT, SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW
NOTES ON INGREDIENTS for Best Apple Crisp
- Granny Smith or other tart apples – peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
- Honey – or your favorite liquid sweetener
- Freshly squeezed Lemon juice (or juice of one small lemon) plus its zest
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Gluten-free old-fashioned Oats
- Almond meal – use this if doing gluten-free or simply use all-purpose regular or gluten-free flour
- Almonds – for extra crunch and texture – pre-toasted if possible
- Brown Sugar
- Butter – salted or unsalted is fine, melted
HOW TO MAKE THE Best Apple Crisp
Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). In a bowl, mix together the apples, honey, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Transfer to a square baking dish (like a 9×9).
In the same bowl, mix together the oats, almond meal, sliced almonds, brown sugar, and melted butter.
Evenly sprinkle the oat mixture on top of the apples. Gently mix the topping with the apple filling, if desired. I do the latter as I want chunky rather than gooey apples.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned on top and the apples have softened. Serve warm with a little pouring (heavy) cream or if feeling indulgent, your favorite vanilla ice cream! For me, the cream or ice cream should not be optional so just do it!!!
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35-45 Minutes
Total Time: 50-60 Minutes
Best Apple Crisp
- 4 large Granny Smith or other tart apples 5 if using smalled apples, peeled, cored and sliced or chopped into chunks
- ⅓ cup Honey or your favorite sweetener
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed Lemon juice or juice of one small lemon plus its zest or juice of one small lemon plus its zest
- 2 tsp ground Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup Almond meal or all purpose regular or gluten-free flour, (use regular flour if not into the gluten-free diet)
- ½ cup sliced Almonds
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 6 tbsp Butter, melted (salted or unsalted is fine)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C). In a bowl, mix together the apples, honey, lemon juice and zest, cinnamon and nutmeg. Transfer to a square baking dish (like a 9×9).
- In the same bowl, mix together the oats, almond meal and sliced almonds, brown sugar and the melted butter.
- Evenly sprinkle the oat mixture on top of the apples. Gently mix the topping with the apple filling, if desired. I do the latter as I want chunky rather than goeey apples.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned on top and the apples have softened. Serve warm with a little pouring (heavy) cream or if feeling indulgent, your favorite vanilla ice cream! For me, the cream or ice cream should not be optional so just do it!!!
Last updated on September 12th, 2023 at 04:15 pm