So scrumptious! This is the most delicious peach and blueberry crumble! So fruity, buttery, lemony, and totally yummy especially when served warm with ice cream. Can be made with fresh or frozen fruits so it’s an all-season dessert.
Last week, fresh peaches were readily available all over it seemed. Whether in the delis or groceries, one cannot miss them! Since hubby loves peaches, I decided to get about 3 bags knowing it wouldn’t last long in our house, especially when the peaches are perfectly ripe and juicy!
The last couple of months had been crazy for us! We’ve traveled all over including a trip abroad to England and a few weddings along the way, too! What a crazy summer!
We never ran out of things to do! As if all that traveling was not enough, we started doing a lot of work on our house too!
Early in the summer, we had pipe issues and water leakage as a result, so workers were in and out of our house to repair the basement and even dug our front lawn! This took nearly a month to finish!
On top of that, we had other summer projects, too. We had major landscaping and cleaning done in our front and backyard. After that, the deck which needed a lot of repairs had to be attended, too.
Thankfully, two ladies from our church who are both very skilled in carpentry, painting, and in doing some minor house repairs decided to tackle our deck! They were truly brave but we were glad they wanted to help.
Because they’ve been working so hard for many days, I decided to give them a delicious treat to end their workweek. Since we had so many fresh peaches and some frozen blueberries in the freezer, my mind immediately decided that I should make a crumble!
Thankfully, I had all the other ingredients required for this yummy dessert! Initially, I wanted to make a cobbler because it’s one of my favorite summer desserts.
Since hubby is on a completely gluten-free diet, I decided to make a gluten-free crumble instead. That way, he could also enjoy his favorite peaches without feeling icky later because of the gluten.
It was certainly a good choice because the crumble came out absolutely delicious! Even I was surprised by it!
The delicious flavors came not only from the juicy peaches and blueberries but also the combo of lemon juice and a little almond extract! It was no ordinary crumble or cobbler for that matter! This was one sublime dessert!
THE VERDICT! Utterly successful as not only did my family, especially hubby, totally enjoyed this, my wonderful workers and dear friends gobbled them up happily. I was so delighted I was able to give them a yummy refreshment after a long week of working hard on the deck! They truly deserved it and all that ice cream that went with it!
Since then, I’ve made this again because I could never have enough of it! It was just so good. So I hope that while you can still get some fresh peaches you should put this on top of your must-make list! You won’t be disappointed!
Be sure to have it with some ice cream!!!
Delicious Peach and Blueberry Crumble
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest from one lemon
- ¼ tsp almond extract, (don't omit)
- 5 fresh peaches, sliced
- 1½ cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 2½ cups old-fashioned oatmeal, use as is or process in a food mixer until it becomes crumbly.
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar (white or brown)
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chilled
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 2 tbsp sugar (white or brown)
- In a bowl mix together the brown sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and almond extract. Set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Arrange the sliced peaches in a greased 9x9 or 8x11 baking dish. Distribute the blueberries all over the peaches. Sprinkle the sugar mixture all over the fruits. Use a pastry brush to spread it, if needed. Place inside the preheated oven as you make the topping.
- Mix together the oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or at least everything is mixed well and butter is distributed evenly).
- Pour in the milk and egg then stir until the mixture is moistened. Take out the heated fruit from the oven and spread the crumble mixture all over. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes or until nicely browned on top and bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream!