Several years ago when we were still living in Michigan, one of the ladies from our church prepared this soup for our ladies fellowship. All of us who attended that meeting enjoyed this very tasty soup and naturally we all asked for the recipe. She kindly gave us a copy and I have never forgotten this yummy soup ever since.
Fast forward to the present here in Connecticut, it was my turn to host our church's ladies' book study and lunch fellowhip at our house. I never had second thoughts about the soup that I would make and so last week this was our lunch. I was glad I chose this soup as everyone liked it - bowls were all clean after lunch! I prepared a huge batch so my family got to taste it, too and we all agreed it was a keeper. My 2 kids especially loved it and when I gave them the left-overs next day I never had a problem serving this tasty soup. Pair it with a rustic crusty bread and it's a combo made in heaven! Enjoy!
If you like what you see do subscribe to our posts via email. You can also like us in Facebook or join us on Pinterest so you can get the latest recipes and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!
Italian Sausage and Tortellini SoupBy: Manila Spoon
October 13, 2015
This soup has everything you want - sausages, tortellini and vegetables - a complete and delicious meal by itself to warm you up this fall and winter - Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium to large Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves. peeled and chopped
- 5 cups Beef broth
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup red Wine
- 1 punnet/box (8-10 oz) grape or cherry tomatoes. kept whole
- 3 medium size Carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons dried Oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed Italian tomatoes
- 8 oz fresh Tortellini Pasta (your choice of flavor)
- 1/3 cup fresh Basil leaves
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Crumble and brown the sausage in a large Dutch oven (5 quarts). Saute the chopped onion and garlic until soft.
- Pour in the beef broth, water and wine. Stir in the fresh tomatoes, carrots, dried oregano and canned crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil and skim the fat from the soup.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Add the fresh tortellini, basil and parsley and cook for another 10 minutes or until the tortellini is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese just before serving. Serve with crusty bread.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour (total)
Total Time: 1 Hour and 20 Minutes
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com and cafevita.