This is simply the best banana pecan cake! Freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest lend fruity flavor while pecans add crunch to this moist and delicious cake. The cream cheese frosting brings this over the top!
I love baking with Bananas. The fact that I have many recipes here that use bananas is proof of how much I love this amazing fruit. It just adds so much flavor and moisture to any baked good.
I love seeing the brown speckles in banana bread. I often buy bananas just so I can make banana bread! Yes, I am truly bananas over bananas!
I already have a delicious tried and tested recipe for Banana Bread in this blog which has received so many wonderful reviews from our readers.
I thought of adapting that same recipe to make a Banana Cake – with the same citrus flavor from freshly squeezed orange juice and grated zest added for that extra tang and yummy taste.
As expected, the cake was moist and delightful. It being a cake, I have decided to add some delicious frosting as well. This truly enhances the already delectable cake.
I also like adding some toasted pecans on top of the cake – either whole ones just added on each slice or when I’m feeling indulgent – I sprinkle a whole lot more!
So you can imagine how your taste buds will sing joyfully when they savor each delicious mouthful. Hope you try this truly tasty cake soon!
To print the recipe and for full instructions, see the recipe card below.
INGREDIENTS for BEST BANANA PECAN CAKE
- all-purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Bananas (use super-ripe Bananas with dark spots on its skin)
- Lemon Juice and zest (fresh Orange juice plus zest may be used instead)
- Brown sugar (can use white, too and cake will be paler in color)
- Vanilla Extract
- Pecans, chopped
*You can use a food processor to mash the bananas.
*You can also use regular white sugar (cake is slightly darker if brown sugar is used).
For the frosting (The best and yummiest frosting!)
- Butter (softened)
- Cream cheese (softened and get a good quality one)
- Confectioners or Icing Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
It’s great with or without frosting! Enjoy!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Best Banana Pecan Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 4 large very ripe Bananas, mashed*
- 3 tbsp Lemon Juice and zest of 1 Lemon, or 4 Tablespoons fresh Orange juice plus zest of 1 Orange
- 3/4 cup unsalted Butter, softened
- 1½ cups brown Sugar, can use white, too but the cake will be paler in color
- 3 large Eggs
- 2 tsps Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cups Buttermilk
- 1 cup Pecans, chopped
For the frosting
- ½ cup unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 3½ cups Confectioners or Icing Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 300 F (yes, that’s the right temperature). Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish. Set aside. If you are in a hurry you can also preheat to 325 F.Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mashed bananas with the orange juice and zest. Set aside.Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs one at a time then add the vanilla extract. Stir in the banana-orange mixture. On low speed, alternately add the flour and the buttermilk to the mixture, beginning and ending with the flour. Gently fold in the nuts.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and bake in the preheated oven (300 F) for about 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If baking at 325 F, check cake around 45-50 minutes to see if it’s done. Oven heating varies so please adjust baking time accordingly.
For the frosting
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the softened butter and cream cheese until smooth. On low speed, add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and continue until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Beat in the Vanilla extract. Spread evenly on top of the cooled cake. Place 1 or 2 whole pecans on each slice. Enjoy!
You can also use regular white sugar (cake is slightly darker if brown sugar is used).
Last updated on October 26th, 2023 at 10:03 pm