Less than 30 minutes to make a yummy dish for left-over corned beef – Filipino-style corned beef hash. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and certainly have it with rice or bread, if you like.
It’s my birthday today!! Hubby just surprised me this afternoon and told me we needed to leave right away for New York City where he arranged a special birthday dinner for me. Wow, I didn’t see that coming!
I intended to finish this post right away but because of this “surprise”, I had to temporarily stop so I could prepare our clothes for the trip.
And what a surprise it was! I knew that we would be eating at a Filipino restaurant in Queens despite him not letting me know about it at that time. It made sense because it’s been a while since we went to a Pinoy eatery and he knew that would totally delight me, of course! While we were about to begin eating, by the door suddenly appeared someone familiar.
I was quite shocked and couldn’t believe my eyes – it was my little dear sister Eunice – all the way from the Philippines! I was totally caught by surprise that the only words that came out of my mouth was — “What are you doing here?”
Apparently, my sister was in Canada previously and then she and Mark made some arrangements so she could visit me for my birthday! That was really awesome!
It made my day as it was totally unexpected and it was so wonderful to see my sister again after not seeing her for more than a year! March 16, 2016 certainly ranks as one of the best birthdays I ever had and I am grateful for my hubby and sister for making it so happy and memorable.
Now, without further ado, here’s a Filipino classic recipe for Corned Beef Hash – my sister and I grew up eating this for breakfast. Hope you all enjoy this as much as we did then and still do.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above PRINTER icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Corned Beef Hash (Filipino Style)
By: Manila Spoon
March 16, 2016
Less than 30 minutes to make a yummy for left-over corned beef – Filipino-style corned beef hash. Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner and certainly have it with rice or bread, if you like.
- 1 Tablespoon Cooking Oil (Vegetable or Coconut)
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 3 Garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup Water (or more as needed)
- 2 large red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups (or more) left-over Corned Beef or 2-3 small cans of Corned Beef
- Salt and Pepper, to taste (or for better flavors Soy sauce or Fish sauce as alternative seasoning, 1 tbsp or to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet or frying pan. Saute the garlic and onions until the onions have softened and browned about 3-4 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour the water and add the corned beef and cubed potatoes. Stir. Bring to a quick boil, cover, then simmer until the potatoes are tender about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, you can half-fry the potatoes first in a little oil before adding to the mix.
- Season with a little salt and pepper, to taste, if needed or for more Asian flavor use soy sauce or fish sauce instead. Serve immediately with rice or bread.
Yield: 4 Servings
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 30 Minutes