These CHEWY CHOCOLATE OAT CAKES OR BARS are so delicious and more-ish! These chocolate-covered and honey-sweetened flapjacks are quick and easy to make, too! Gluten-free.
When we went to England last November, we enjoyed so much yummy food that we don’t often get here in the US. That included delicious British sausages, Christmas pudding, clotted cream, or simply any food from Marks and Spencers!
We also enjoyed lots of Victoria sandwich cakes, scones, shortbread, and certainly some yummy chewy flapjacks.
Thankfully, flapjacks are easy to make and the ingredients are readily available anywhere in the world unless you don’t have oats where you are!
So I decided to make flapjacks yesterday. I wanted to make something quick and easy for our ladies’ book study as I didn’t have enough time to bake a cake or anything elaborate. Also, I needed extra time to review the book we were studying and that left me little time to bake.
Now, originally, I didn’t intend to add chocolate to the mix but make it plain and perhaps add a few nuts and dried fruits instead-but when I realized that I had some extra chocolate chips in the cupboard, I decided to go the chocolate route. After all, you can never go wrong with chocolate, right?
Now, somebody was really happy that I added chocolate in these bars. I didn’t think it would work out so good and beautifully but I am glad it did. Hubby, who is English and who I thought would be appalled at the unusual looking flapjacks I offered to him to eat, totally loved it and had quite a few bars.
Even my little boy who usually hates coconut (yes, I snuck in some coconut flakes in there as I love adding coconuts on anything!!!) didn’t care that traces of coconut were present and simply gobbled them up as he really enjoyed them, too. Yay!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above printer icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
By: Manila Spoon
These are so delicious and more-ish!! These chocolate-covered and honey-sweetened flapjacks (oat bars) are quick and easy to make, too! Gluten-free.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked dried Coconut (optional)
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweetened Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C). Butter then line an 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix the butter, sugar, honey (or maple syrup) in a pan and heat gently until the butter is melted. Mix the melted butter with the oats and flaked coconut in a bowl. Stir in the chocolate, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon and mix until everything is covered with chocolate. Transfer the mixture into the prepared dish spreading it evenly.
- Bake the flapjacks for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan for at least 30 minutes before cutting into bars. Let cool completely then enjoy immediately or transfer to an airtight container to serve later.
- So yummy even when warm. I’d serve it warm with some ice cream (though not very traditional!)
Yield: 16 Bars
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 20 mins.
Total time: 30 mins.
Tags: Chocolate, Flapjacks, British, English, Snacks, Sweets, Desserts, Gluten-free, Recipes, Easy