So fresh-tasting and vibrant, this Mango Pineapple Salsa is at once sweet, tangy, herby with a hint of spice and totally yummy! Adds a pop of bright colors to any dish and perfect to pair with grilled meats and fish, tacos and tortillas and so much more. It’s a perfectly versatile appetizer and a must-have for snack time!
I decided to make some yummy Chicken Inasal for dinner tonight. Chicken Inasal is a famous grilled chicken dish from the central Philippines. I say famous because you can literally find this chicken all over the country nowadays and at many street corners in the provinces where this tasty chicken dish originated from.
What I love about this dish is its eye-catching dark yellowish hue that comes from the achiote or achuete seeds added to its basting sauce. I didn’t actually grill it because it was cold today but I roasted it in the oven. It still came out as yummy and juicy!
Having planned this ahead, I thought about a good condiment to pair it with. I wanted to make something light, fresh and fruity that would complement the lemony flavors of the chicken. I thought a fruity salsa would be perfect for it!
Since I made an Asian dish I thought this delicious chicken would be perfectly paired with something tropical as well. Nothing can be more tropical than mangoes and pineapples which happen to be our famous fruit exports as well.
Our country is well known to have the juiciest and sweetest mangoes in the world. Of course, we are also huge pineapple growers as well. In fact, we have Dole pineapple plantations in the southern part of the Philippines.
Our fresh pineapples are so sweet and juicy! Ask anyone who’ve tried it straight from the farm or even from local markets!
Feeling a bit nostalgic about the Philippines and it’s delicious produce and food, I set on making this delicious salsa!
It came out so fresh and tasty – hints of sweetness, tang, herbiness and spice all in one mouthful!
Best of all it was a perfect accompaniment for my favorite Filipino grilled chicken!
Next time you fancy a delicious salsa with a tropical twist make sure to make this easy and tasty Mango Pineapple Salsa! I promise you’ll love it!
Easy Mango Pineapple Salsa
- 2 pieces, yellow mangoes, right or nearly ripe, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp pineapple juice, either fresh or canned
- 2 stalks green onions or scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all of the above ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours to allow flavors to infuse. If you prefer a less chunky salsa, simply add the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse 1-2 times or to your desired texture and thickness. If you like it more as a fresh salad, leave it as is. Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite grilled meats!
Last updated on May 3rd, 2023 at 05:07 pm