The classic Filipino stew, Menudo, is made with ground meat for a flavorful dish made easily in the slow cooker! Loaded with vegetables and simmered in a perfectly seasoned tomato sauce the whole family will enjoy this!
It’s been a while since I posted a Filipino recipe so I thought that I will share one today. This is one of my family’s favorites. It’s a staple in our house because it’s pretty easy to make and always comes out flavorful.
I’ve been making this for many years as this dish has always been in my recipe vault, as it were. It may be, as my husband would say “A classic from the attic or a spin from the bin” but the taste and flavors in this dish are timeless! 🙂
Instead of the usual pork chunks used in the regular Menudo, here I used ground pork – they cook quicker and absorb the flavors in less time. Apart from the meat, pretty much all of the usual Menudo ingredients are present…
Well, I added some boiled eggs but these are not part of the actual recipe so feel free to omit them. They are a good accompaniment though so I often add these when I make the ground pork or beef menudo version.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Slow Cooker Ground Pork and Beef Menudo
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 lb ground Pork or ground Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 8 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 4 Plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 cup Beef broth beef broth
- 3 red skin Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 Carrots, peeled and diced the size same as potatoes
- 1/2 cup Ketchup or Tomato Sauce, (see notes)
- 1 red Bell Pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup Raisins
- A little brown sugar, to taste (optional)
- Heat the oil in a deep pan. Brown the minced or ground meat. Season with salt. Once the meat has browned, add garlic and onion and saute for another couple of minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the following ingredients – tomatoes, fish sauce, beef both, potatoes and carrots – to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Pour in the ketchup or tomato sauce and add in the chopped red bell pepper and raisins. Stir to mix everything well and cook for 30-minutes to 1 hour until the peppers are tender but not mushy. If you find the sauce to be a little tart, sprinkle a little brown sugar to balance the flavors. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve with jasmine rice.
Last updated on February 23rd, 2024 at 05:30 pm