Simply dump the chicken, salsa verde, and seasonings, and what comes out of the slow cooker is one super delicious dish. Perfect for your tacos and burritos!
My family loves Mexican food and have it at least once or twice a week. Although Mexican food is pretty reasonably priced we cannot afford to buy it all the time as we would be bankrupt!
So for us, the only way to satisfy our cravings for tacos, burritos and enchiladas would be if Mom (that’s me!) make some and feed her hungry family!
We have a few staples that we repeat on occasion but this time I wanted to try something new and different that we haven’t tried yet. I have seen online and on Pinterest certain recipes that call for the use of salsa verde to flavor meat as it cooks.
I thought it was pretty easy to make especially if done on the slow cooker as it’s simply dump-and-cook and most of all it can be made low-carb so until our holiday in Europe I have been on a pretty strict low-carb diet which this dish fully suited.
It was a win-win situation – I have a new dish to try and it’s friendly to my low-carb diet.
I decided to use chicken for this one though I have seen it tried with pork and I presume great with beef, too. It came out so delicious and moist!! If you haven’t tried cooking meat with salsa verde then now is your chance!
As I mentioned it is super easy as well and with the use of the slow cooker, it’s perfect for busy moms! Enjoy!
FOR FULL RECIPE & INSTRUCTIONS and to PRINT, SEE RECIPE CARD BELOW.
What are the INGREDIENTS for Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken?
- Chicken breasts – use boneless and skinless
- Salsa Verde – use homemade or bottled store-bought variety (I use the bottled one for convenience and since I have a good brand that I like I preferred to use that).
- Onion – chopped
- Bay leaves – use either fresh or dried
- Ground Cumin
- Garlic cloves – peeled and crushed
- Jalapenos – bottled or fresh, seeded and sliced
- Salt and Pepper – adjust the amount to taste
How do you make Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken?
- Place the chopped onions at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts on top and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- When chicken is tender, uncover and shred with a fork. Serve as part of your tacos or burritos with some sour cream, cheese, fresh chopped cilantro, and corn salsa on the side.
Yield: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 06 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 6 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: Slow Cooker, Chicken, Salsa Verde, Tacos, Burritos
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1 Slow Cooker or Crockpot
- 3 large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (about 2 lbs)
- 1 bottle Salsa Verde
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- 2 tsp ground cumin, or adjust amount to taste
- 3 cloves garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp jarred sliced jalapeno or 1 fresh jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the chopped onions at the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the chicken breasts on top and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover and let cook for 6 hours on low or until the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked and tender, uncover and shred with a fork. Serve as part of your tacos or burritos with some sour cream, cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and corn salsa on the side.
Last updated on October 13th, 2022 at 08:51 pm