This cake is so moist, so yummy and the fresh apples add so much juiciness and freshness! Great on its own for coffee or tea time but you can add some pecans and smother it in a delicious homemade Vanilla Custard Sauce for an elegant and perfect fall or all-season dessert!
I walk my little boy William to school every day and we are grateful that the school is less than a 5-minute walk. In our usual route, I pass through one of our neighbor’s front yard which has a big Apple tree.
One day in October I was walking back from school, I saw our neighbor picking up some apples that came from the tree. At this time she has placed a sign by the tree which asked anyone who happens to pass by to pick a bag of apples.
She kindly gave me a huge bag of Apples which I excitedly accepted. She told me her tree drops about 50-70 apples a day! She really was quite desperate to give these apples away.
She said I can eat the apples if I prefer and or just use them for baking. I happily thanked our kind neighbor and promised her I won’t waste the apples.
The apples turned out to be quite good and sweet. I have tried them and loved the taste. With the extras, naturally, I had to make some Fresh Apple Cake!
Instead of just adding them on top of the cake in my other apple recipe, I mixed the Apples with the cake batter, added some spices for flavor, and pecans for extra crunch!
It came out super-moist and truly yummy! It’s perfect on its own but you can certainly dress it up with a delicious smothering of custard sauce.
I think the custard sauce perfectly complements the spiced apple cake but if you ask my hubby – it’s even better if you combine ice cream with custard! Have it your way! 🙂
If you want to make the Vanilla Custard sauce, the recipe is here.
Fresh Apple Cake with Vanilla Custard Sauce
- 4-5 Granny Smith Apples, chopped peeled or unpeeled
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 3 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored Oil, like vegetable oil
- 1 cup Pecans or Walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine the chopped apples, brown and white sugar, spices, salt, flour, baking soda, eggs, buttermilk, oil, and nuts in a large bowl in the order listed. Mix just until there’s no more wisp of flour.
- Spoon into an ungreased non-stick 9×13 pan. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature with either ice cream or custard (like Bird’s) or a delicious homemade custard sauce. Get the recipe for an easy and tasty homemade vanilla custard here or see notes below.
Last updated on September 20th, 2023 at 04:27 pm