Moist and delicious chocolate cake flavored with fresh orange juice and zest and jazzed up with a swirled frosting – Chocolate Orange Swirled Cake
We always look forward to the weekend, who doesn’t you may ask? Well, we have a particularly good reason for this. Usually throughout the week we hold back from sweets (ok, I must admit we occasionally fail!). The reason is that in the Philippines I grew up having sweets or special treats only during weekends, specially on Sunday after lunch. Even a bottle of Coke (which was considered dessert as it was sweet) was only allowed during weekends. Naturally, I just adapted it for our home. Since I am the cook in the house that has been the unwritten rule.
That’s why when weekend comes I make sure that we have a dessert that’s truly special. Initially, I wasn’t sure if hubby would like this cake. He is not a fan of the orange-chocolate combo. If it’s a citrus-flavored chocolate bar, he’ll pass on it which is good, in a way, as that means more for me! 🙂 Since we had other desserts available when I made this, I didn’t even ask him to try the cake.
Perhaps he was just hungry, I don’t know. But I was surprised to see hubby eating the last slice of the cake that was kept in the fridge. What was more surprising, he actually complimented me and said he enjoyed the cake. New revelation – perhaps it was just the citrus and chocolate bar that he did not particularly enjoy but when these flavors are combined in a cake, it’s perfectly fine. Since we always buy oranges and chocolate (you never know when you have a chocolate emergency!), now I know what to make for him if I don’t have the time to make anything else. Hope you enjoy this easy and tasty cake!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Chocolate Orange Swirled Cake
By: Manila Spoon
April 28, 2015
Moist and delicious chocolate cake flavored with fresh orange juice and zest and jazzed up with a swirled frosting.
- 2 cups all purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/3 cups Sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 large Eggs
- Grated zest from 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Orange juice
- 1/4 cup Water
For the Frosting
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) Butter, softened
- 2 cups Confectioners’ (icing) Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened Cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C). Grease an 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar and softened butter until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.
- Adjust the speed to low and alternately add the flour and the fresh orange juice mixed with water scraping the sides with a spatula if necessary. Beat just until combined. Fold in the grated zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean about 35-45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool the cake completely in the baking dish.
- To make the frosting, mix the butter and sugar on low speed. Add the milk slowly and continue to mix until smooth. Spoon half of the mixture into a bowl. Add the cocoa powder and stir to combine.
- Spoon the cocoa powder mixture and the plain mixture next to each other (alternately) on top of the cake. Use a knife to make a swirling pattern. Refrigerate until frosting has set.
Yield: 10-12 slices
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Cooking Time: 35 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour
We would love to hear from you. Do share your comment or feedback on any of our recipes.
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Last updated on October 1st, 2019 at 08:49 am