A couple of weeks ago, we went to Rhode Island to check out the city of Newport, well-known for its lovely beaches and of course its mansions. It was holiday in Connecticut, the weather was warm and sunny so we took advantage and took a quick tour to our neighboring state. While there we had a quick stroll of the city center and had a tour of “The Breakers” (Vanderbilt Mansion). We had a truly wonderful time.
Even more wonderful to me was the food that we had there. In the evening we had some lobsters at a seafood restaurant and during lunch we had the most amazing sandwich. I couldn’t forget how delicious the sandwich was so I decided to re-create it at home. After all, I already had most of the ingredients. I can honestly say it had become my favorite sandwich and it’s perfect for the season as it uses fresh Pears which at present are all over any grocery or supermarket so it’s certainly a wonderfully delicious fall option.
For this particular recipe, there’s no need for any strict measurements for the ingredients so I will simply list them below as a guide. How much you need to use will depend entirely on how many sandwiches you wish to make. I can imagine that once you’ve tasted it, you’ll probably want to use an entire loaf of your favorite sandwich bread to make these delectable Pear, Honey, Cheese and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches.
These sandwiches are pretty easy to make and it’s really just a matter of assembly and the toasting at the end is entirely optional though I would highly recommend it. The only thing you need to make, if you wish to do it, as you can certainly buy the jarred one, is the caramelized onion. If you wish to do it yourself, here’s a helpful and easy recipe on how to make it.
Here are what you need to make the sandwich.
But wait, you can up the deliciousness so much more if you butter each slice of bread then toast the sandwich. You can do so in a panini press if you have one or simply use a flat griddle or frying pan. I tell you, this would make the sandwich over the top delish! Below, I simply used a frying pan.
Hope you try this sandwich while pears are still available. If not, simply try another fruit in season and am sure it would also be yummy!
If you like what you see do subscribe to our posts via email. You can also like us in Facebook or join us on Pinterest so you can get the latest recipes and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!
Pear, Honey, Cheese and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches
By: Manila Spoon
October 6, 2015
A burst of flavors – fruity sweet, cheesy, herby and buttery yum greet your taste buds with each bite of this delicious Fall sandwich – Pear, Honey, Cheese and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches!
- A loaf of Cranberry Pecan Bread (or your favorite sandwich bread)
- 4 oz Goat Cheese or more if needed (or Mascarpone)
- A bunch of fresh Arugula (Baby Rockets)
- 1/2 a cup Caramelized Onions or more if needed (see this recipe on how to make caramelized onions)
- 2 Bartlett Pears (or more, if needed), cleaned, cored and thinly sliced
- Honey, to taste
- A little Butter for toasting the bread (optional)
- Spread some goat cheese on one slice of bread on one side. Top the side with the cheese with arugula, caramelized onions, sliced pears then drizzle with honey. Top with the remaining slice.
- This next step is optional but it sure adds extra flavor so I highly suggest this. Butter the exposed part of the bread on either side. If you have a panini press, heat it then toast the prepared sandwich to your liking. If you don’t have one, simply use a flat griddle or frying pan to toast the bread. Flip and repeat on the other side. Serve warm.
Yield: 4 sandwiches up to an entire Loaf
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Minutes of Toasting Time
Total Time: 12 Minutes