I have made this chili many times for my family and friends and it’s always well loved and the super easy recipe is often requested.
When our schedules are not hectic we love to have people over at our place. We especially love having friends from church during Sunday nights after the evening worship service. It’s just a nice and perfect time to relax, enjoy each others company especially before we face the challenges in the real world the next day — Monday! We enjoy some food and occasionally have some games that everyone can participate in. We don’t do anything too formal or structured, the food is mostly the appetizer type – quick and easy in preparation. The point is to enjoy each other’s company in a fuss-free environment.
There is one recipe that I often go back to when we want to have people over but don’t wish to stress too much on preparation – Slow Cooker Chicken Chili. This is a tried and tested reliable recipe that can be prepared easily and quickly and then dumped in the slow cooker simply to heat up and allow the flavors to marry. It’s perfect when you have either a left-over chicken or turkey. The amount of ingredient is certainly adjustable to a smaller or bigger crowd. Whether in my old church or the one we currently go to – this chili has been well-received and the recipe often requested. You can adjust the heat level to your liking. When I want it extra hot – I add a teaspoon or 2 of hot curry/chili powder I got from India. Oh so good!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
By: Manila Spoon
I have made this chili many times for my family and friends and it’s always well loved and the super easy recipe is often requested. Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (light)
- 2 medium Onions or 1 large, chopped
- 1 large Green Bell pepper, chopped
- 3 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Rotisserie chicken (or 3 cups left-over chicken or turkey), shredded or sliced into chunks
- 2-3 teaspoons Ground Cumin, or to taste
- 2 canned Great Northern Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 16 oz Salsa (choose your heat level – I use Medium)
- 2 (32 oz) Chicken Broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan and add the oil and butter in it. Once the butter has melted, sauté the onions, celery and bell peppers until the onions have softened and started to brown a little about 5 minutes. Transfer to the slow cooker. I like doing this extra step instead of simply dumping everything on the slow cooker for depth of flavor but if in a hurry you can simply add the veggies in the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot and cook for 3 hours on high. Season to taste. Serve with freshly chopped cilantro, cheese and sour cream. Enjoy!
Yield: 10 Servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Cook time: 03 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 3 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: Slow Cooker, Crockpot, Chicken, Chili, Dinner. Stew, Soup, Winter, Fall, Recipe, Easy