Deliciously good, easy and healthy breakfast or brunch solution – Baked Tomatoes with Pesto and Feta Cheese. Completely gluten-free and low-carb, too!
I am not a breakfast cereal kind of person. Perhaps because I grew up eating rice and meat for my first meal of the day that my body seems to always crave something savory and more substantial.
For this reason, I am often on the lookout for new breakfast recipes to try, preferably savory and gluten-free, and low-carb, if possible.
One of my favorite breakfasts ever is English breakfast which has eggs, sausages, tomatoes, bacon, beans, and mushrooms and usually with a piece or 2 of toast.
Now, if you simply remove the toast then it’s a completely gluten-free fest and also a delight for any protein lover! That’s me!
Inspired by the fried or grilled tomatoes in the English breakfast menu, I decided to make it a little more substantial by adding some toppings to it.
I just bought some pesto and feta cheese the other day and I thought a combination of these with juicy tomatoes would just be fabulous. I am glad it came out really tasty and my palate was totally pleased.
I decided to bake this although you can certainly broil it if you prefer – just adjust the time (certainly less than 10 minutes).
For a completely low-carb and gluten-free breakfast, I paired these with some fresh greens and fried eggs. The meal is satisfying and would leave you full for a few hours. Now, that is my kind of breakfast indeed!
Can you see juicy-ness and deliciousness all over? Enjoy!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Deliciously good, easy, and healthy breakfast or brunch solution – Baked Tomatoes with Pesto and Feta Cheese. Completely gluten-free and low-carb, too!
NOTES on Ingredients for Baked Tomatoes with Pesto and Feta Cheese
- Vine-ripened or plum Tomatoes – fresh juicy tomatoes in season are the best to use. You may use bigger and meatier tomatoes if you like. Simply adjust the baking time.
- Pesto – you can simply use your favorite store-made pesto or use your favorite homemade recipe. Here’s a recipe for a delicious homemade pesto if you want one. Find it here.
- Feta Cheese – is the suggested cheese because I love it personally. But use your favorite cheese as topping – mozzarella, parmesan, gruyere, or cheddar – the possibilities are endless.
Yield: 3-4 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Roasted (Baked) Tomatoes with Pesto and Feta Cheese
- 6 vine-ripened or plum Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup homemade or store-bought Pesto, a teaspoon per half a slice of tomato or to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on a baking sheet. Divide the pesto sauce equally among the halved tomatoes (about a teaspoon each) spreading it to cover the entire top.
- Sprinkle with some feta cheese (or cheese of choice) on top, about 1 teaspoon each or to taste. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender but not mushy. Serve immediately.
Last updated on May 28th, 2021 at 08:35 am