I was looking at the file photos of my unpublished recipes and lo and behold I found a few digital copies of this chocolate cake. I was surprised that I haven't shared this yet after nearly a year of making this. I recall baking this for a kind friend and neighbor who helped us paint our house last year before we moved to Connecticut. I made him chocolate cake whenever he was over at our place because I know that it is his favorite dessert.
I guess it must have been the crazy busy-ness of the move that I thereafter forgot about some recipes that I made last year which have yet to grace this blog. Oh well, I am rectifying that mistake and sharing today this classic southern cake before I forget about it again! Being the chocoholic that I am, I added more chocolate to the mix - apart from cocoa powder you have extra chocolate goodness from the semi-sweet choco chips and to top it off - a dark chocolate ganache for the ultimate chocolate indulgence! Whether you wish to go all the way by adding all the chocolate flavors in there or you simply want a subtle chocolate taste, you will enjoy this moist cake!
Triple Chocolate Mayonnaise CakeBy: Manila Spoon
March 28, 2015
The secret ingredient that makes this cake so moist is Mayonnaise! Add 3 kinds of chocolate and it's chocolate indulgence at its highest.
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon instant Coffee
- A pinch of Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
For the Chocolate Filling
- Use either your favorite store-bought chocolate frosting (I used one when I first made this cake) or your favorite homemade recipe, if you have one. If you need one for the filling - here's a good and very easy recipe. This is for a full entire cake (not just for cake filling) so I suggest cutting the recipe in half and adjusting the sugar and chocolate content to your taste. Use the filling/frosting when making the cake in 2 pans.
For the Dark Chocolate Ganache (use milk chocolate if that is preferred)
- 4 oz Dark eating Chocolate (65-70%), broken into pieces
- 4 oz Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Honey, Corn, Agave or Maple syrup or your favorite liquid sweetener (adjust sweetness to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter 2 round cake pans (9-inch ones) and line with parchment paper.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, coffee and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add the eggs, mayonnaise, sugar, water and vanilla into the flour mixture. Stir until well-blended but do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Transfer the batter to the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Oven temperatures vary so adjust the time accordingly.
- Cool the cakes in the pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Cool the cakes completely before adding the chocolate filling, layering and coating with the ganache.
For the Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Place the heavy cream, chocolate pieces and the liquid sweetener of your choice in a small saucepan. Melt the chocolate using low heat and by stirring until it becomes very smooth and shiny.
- Remove from the heat and immediately drizzle/pour it on the cake spreading it evenly to cover the entire cake.
- Allow the ganache to fully set before serving.
Yield: 10-12 slices
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we'd love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we'd love you to like us on Facebook or follow us on Pinterest where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!