I can't believe it's just a couple more days and 2015 is over! In some ways I am quite excited to welcome the new year as globally speaking 2015 has been quite chaotic and really challenging for so many. That is not to say there weren't many good things that happened in the past year. In fact, my habit as the year ends is always to make a list of the many things I can truly be thankful for. I can only do that if I go through the year month by month and look at the past and see how the Lord has truly blessed us. If often surprises me and in the end I often have to admit that indeed while the year past may not be perfect (it never will be!) it definitely is good and always has been good by God's grace.
For starters, in 2015 I got the chance to visit both set of our families in England and the Philippines which doesn't often happen. That was wonderful indeed and I had the loveliest time. We got the chance to travel as well around Asia and Europe which is always a huge bonus as it is a favorite family hobby! :) Health-wise, none of us, by God's grace and so far, have been seriously ill and for this alone we are so grateful. Surely, I can go on and on and list many more reasons to be thankful but I won't bore you with that anymore. Suffice it to say that every time another year comes to an end, it is great to look back and reminisce about the past, find many reasons to be thankful and though some memories may not always be fun to remember we can always look forward to the next year and hope that it will be much better, Lord-willing.
I certainly didn't want 2015 to end without sharing one of my favorite recipes for the year! Indeed, I saved the best for last! It is a simple and easy Apple Cheesecake Pie with an extra drizzling of Caramel Sauce for good measure.
It's like having Apple Pie and Cheesecake in one dessert!
Chopped pecans are added on top for that extra texture and crunch!
And while the caramel sauce is optional, I say - why not? Here I simply used a store-bought one but feel free to use one that's homemade, too. Hope you enjoy this delightful dessert and let it help you welcome 2016!
If you like what you see do subscribe to our posts via email. You can also like us in Facebook or join us on Pinterest so you can get the latest recipes and so much more. Thanks for visiting and happy browsing!
Apple Cheesecake Pie with Caramel SauceBy: Manila Spoon
December 30, 2015
This easy and luscious fruity dessert combines the flavors of Apple Pie and Cheesecake so you can enjoy both! Make it ahead for fuss-free entertaining. Drizzle some caramel sauce on top for extra yum!
For the Crust
- 18 Graham Cracker Squares, crushed (or Digestives - about 10 - roughly 1 1/2 cups when crushed)
- 1 (2.5 - 3oz) packet of Pecans or Walnuts, crushed (roughly 3/4 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted Butter, melted
- 2 packages (8 oz) Cream Cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart Apples (like Granny Smith)
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Cloves
- A few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped Pecans
For the Filling
For the Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. To make the crust, combine all the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix until evenly moistened. Press onto the bottom and side of a 10-inch pie plate. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese in medium speed until soft, creamy and completely smooth (no lumps). Add the sugar slowly and continue to beat until the mixture is smooth. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Pour in the vanilla extract and beat again until it's well mixed. Scrape the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure that there are no lumps remaining. Transfer the mixture into the pre-baked crust.
- Combine the 1/3 cup sugar and the spices in a bowl. Add the apples and gently toss to coat the slices. You may squeeze a few drops of lemon juice for extra flavor but that's optional. My apples look pale on the photo because I added some lemon juice which diluted the coating. Spoon the spiced apple slices into the cream cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans all over.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until the cheesecake has fully set and the apples have softened. Cool completely before serving. Drizzle with some caramel sauce, if desired or enjoy with a scoop of ice cream!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour and 30 Minutes