So easy — simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert – Blueberry Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!
Last Saturday the ladies at our church met up to celebrate the birthday of one of our friends. It was a big milestone in her life and we all wanted it to be special. Our hostess organized not just an ordinary party but one which involved cooking demonstration – the food prepared during the demo was what we actually ate. I was assigned to make dessert and guess what I made? My favorite French dessert – Clafoutis.
I made my Strawberry Pecan Clafoutis for the actual demo but prior to that I made this blueberry version as I haven’t done one with blueberries yet and wanted to try how it would work. I am glad both turned out well. I can’t even choose which one I prefer as they are both yummy!
I guess, that’s the main reason I love this dessert – you can use your favorite fruits or whatever may be in season and it’s sure to be delicious! After all you can’t go wrong with custard and fruit combo, right? The classic French version of course would be dark cherries and I cannot forget the delicious cherry clafoutis we had in Paris a few years ago. It was baked complete with stems and pits! Yes, it took a bit of effort to spit the cherry pits but the taste was fabulous. I guess, that’s why they don’t remove the pits – as these add a lot of flavor. I know as I have tried both pitted and unpitted cherries in a clafoutis.
At any rate, if you don’t fancy that, then certainly make the clafoutis with blueberries as you surely won’t be disappointed!!
If you like what you see and would like to receive new recipe updates, we’d love you to subscribe to our posts or join our site. Needless to say, we’d love you to like us on Facebook and Instagram, too where you can get more recipes and updates. Thanks and happy browsing!
Click the above icon to print. To remove images for easy printing, simply click on each photo.
Yummy Blueberry Clafoutis
By: Manila Spoon
So easy — simply dump the blueberries in the pan, cover in vanilla custard or flan batter then bake! This French berry dessert – Clafoutis is the perfect vehicle for your favorite summer fruit!
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups Blueberries
- 3/4 cup all purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Half and half or whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously butter a large (10-inch) pie plate. Use a lovely pie dish as this will serve as your serving plate, too. Place the blueberries at the bottom of the dish.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Add the milk and vanilla extract to the beaten eggs and whisk to blend. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients at once and quickly stir to avoid lumps.
- Pour the custard batter over the blueberries. Bake for about 45-50 minutes or until the batter has puffed up and the middle part springs back when lightly pressed. Oven heating and temperatures vary so adjust timing accordingly. Mine is firm and perfect at 45 minutes.
I suggest serving it warm with a dollop of whipped cream or even some vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
Yield: 12 Servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 45 mins.
Total time: 50 mins.
Tags: Blueberries, Clafoutis, French, Dessert, Summer, Berries