The perfect antidote for fall and winter chilly nights, a hot bowl of tasty and hearty Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup. Creamy and perfectly seasoned, it’s true comfort food in a bowl!
When the nights get colder and early mornings get chillier, I start dreaming about comfort food for fall and winter!! That means loads and loads of meaty stew, sweet and spicy foods and anything with curry and certainly soup!!
When my friend Donna Elick’s book entitled “The Simple Kitchen” came out, I was so excited to get my copy. Having seen many delicious recipes appear on Donna’s popular website – The Slow Roasted Italian, I know my eyes and palate would be feasting on the many dishes featured in her cookbook.
I immediately turned to the soup section of her book as I knew I needed to stock my recipe list with delicious soups to make for the cold season. The book certainly did not disappoint as every entry on the soup section looked tasty and pretty easy to do. What immediately caught my eye was the Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup.
I knew right away that this was something my family would enjoy as we all love any dish with sausages!! Since the recipe also included kale, I was glad that I can feed my kids something truly wholesome. Indeed it was and we all certainly loved it!
The very minor change I made in cooking this was simply the omission of the red pepper flakes. Only because my kids wouldn’t like the spicy kick. I know, I need to really work on that and expand their taste profiles some more!! Other than that, it was an absolutely delicious soup that I highly recommend! Enjoy!
Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup
- 1 pound package hot Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 6 cups Chicken Stock, reduced-sodium
- 6 medium Russet Potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes, more to taste
- 4 cups Kale, chopped
- 1 cup heavy Cream
- Warm a Dutch oven or a 6-quart pot over medium high-heat. Once you can feel the heat when you hold your hands 6 inches above the pot, crumble in the Italian sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage as desired until the sausage is browned and cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Drain the sausage drippings from the pan.
- Return the pot to the heat and add the chicken stock, potatoes, salt and rep pepper flakes. Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove 1 cup of potatoes from the pot and place them in a bowl. Mash the potatoes and pour them back into the pot; this will help thicken the soup.
- Add the kale and cream to the soup, and stir to combine. Continue cooking the soup until the kale is wilted and tender, about 3 more minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt to taste and red pepper flakes.
If you are after quick, easy and delicious recipes to try then you are in a for a treat as Donna’s latest book – THE SIMPLE KITCHEN has all that. I have followed Donna’s blog and FB page for several years now and have always loved her amazing dishes. If you wish to order your copy of her book, then click here. It would make such a lovely Christmas gift for the cook in your family!!
Last updated on September 10th, 2021 at 12:46 pm