Blackberries were on sale the other day so I couldn't help but grab a few punnets. When I went home I wondered what I would do with them. We usually just eat it plain or as is but I thought I ought to make some dessert using the berries because it was the weekend and hubby always wants to have a good dessert during Sunday lunch. I didn't feel like turning the oven on but wanted to have a dessert ready for when we come home. Voila - the slow cooker to the rescue!
I have made a berry cobbler in the slow cooker so I knew I only needed to make a few tweaks here and there. However, that recipe was made of a combination of berries while for this one I am limited to only one kind. I wasn't sure if these blackberries would hold up on their own! But I carried on and cooked it in the slow cooker.
The result was unbelievably delicious!! It was so good that my little boy kept asking for more. Thankfully, we are a small family so we had a little bit of left-over for the next day which my boy certainly enjoyed. I love that this is super-easy to make - totally no-fuss and prep time is just about 10 minutes and the result is indeed a heavenly dessert!
We love to serve this warm with either some pouring cream (simple heavy cream or whipping cream) and certainly with ice cream! This is certainly perfect for summer when you don't wish to turn the oven on! Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Blackberry Cobbler
This is so amazingly delicious and unbelievably easy to make! Best of all, no baking required as your slow cooker does all the work. Serve warm with pouring cream or ice cream - heavenly!
- 1 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1-1/4 cups Sugar (divided into 3/4 and 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Nutmeg
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 3 (6oz) punnets of Blackberries (or your favorite Berries)
- 1/2 cup Water
- Heavy or whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for topping, optional
- In the slow cooker, whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Combine the eggs, milk and oil in a bowl then stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In a large saucepan, combine the berries, water, and remaining sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Once it has boiled, remove from the heat and immediately, pour over batter. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the batter comes out clean.
- Turn the slow cooker off. Uncover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Top with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 10 mins.
Total time: 2 hrs. 10 mins.
Tags: Sweets, American, Cobbler, Berries, Blackberries, Desserts, Summer, Slow Cooker, Crockpot,