If you’re on the hunt for a quick and easy dinner recipe that’s bursting with flavor, look no further than this Honey Garlic Soy Chicken. This dish combines the savory umami of soy sauce, the natural sweetness of honey, and the aromatic richness of garlic into a mouthwatering glaze that will have your taste buds singing. Juicy, sweet, tender, and savory chicken dish! Serve over rice and drizzle all that yummy sauce all over!
Every Sunday, I try to cook a special lunch for my family. This particular Sunday, I fancied something familiar – the kind of dish with flavors I grew up with. Of course, that meant dishes with lots of garlic and soy sauce – two major staples in Asian or Filipino cooking!
I recall that I had this simple recipe for Honey Garlic Soy Chicken that was quick to prep and very easy to make. I made this early in the morning before we went to church then simply reheated it when we returned home for lunch. If I managed to do that on a usually busy Sunday morning at home, that is a testament to how simple and fuss-free this recipe is! Hubby loved it and said, I should make it again soon!
Why you would love this recipe for Honey Garlic Soy Chicken?
- Incredible Flavor – This recipe combines a symphony of flavors that are both sweet and savory. The honey adds natural sweetness, the soy sauce brings in a rich umami depth, and the garlic infuses aromatic goodness. The combination of these ingredients creates a mouthwatering and well-balanced taste that’s hard to resist.
- Easy and Quick – Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a kitchen novice, this recipe is a breeze to make. It requires minimal prep work, and the cooking process is straightforward.
- Versatile – This Honey Garlic Soy Chicken is incredibly versatile. You can serve it with a variety of sides, such as rice, noodles, or steamed vegetables, allowing you to customize the meal to your liking.
- Homemade Takeout: – If you’re a fan of Chinese takeout, you’ll appreciate that this recipe delivers that familiar takeout flavor but in a homemade and healthier version. You can enjoy the indulgence of takeout without the added MSG or unknown ingredients.
- Leftovers Excellence: If you happen to have leftovers, this dish tastes even better the next day as the flavors continue to meld together. It makes for a fantastic lunch option or a quick dinner for the following evening.
- Budget-Friendly: This recipe is also budget-friendly as it uses chicken thighs, which are often more affordable than other cuts of meat. The simple yet delicious sauce is made with pantry staples, making it cost-effective.
Ingredients for Honey Garlic Soy Chicken
- 1.5 lb Boneless or Bone-in Chicken Thighs – Boneless chicken thighs are a popular choice for this recipe due to their tenderness and flavor. They are known for their juiciness and ability to absorb the flavors of marinades and sauces, making them perfect for this dish.
- 1 Large Onion, Peeled and Cut into Wedges – A large onion is used to add a subtle sweetness and a pleasing texture. Cutting it into wedges allows it to caramelize and become tender as it cooks with the chicken.
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper – Ground black pepper is a versatile spice that adds a hint of heat and depth to the dish.
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic – Garlic is a key player in this recipe, contributing a robust and aromatic quality. Minced garlic adds a pungent and slightly sweet flavor that melds perfectly with the honey and soy sauce.
- 1-2 Tablespoons Freshly grated ginger – Ginger lends its zing to sweet and savory dishes like this honey and soy garlic chicken. It gives it that zesty bite that elevates this dish. Optional but highly recommended!
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil – Olive oil provides a mild, fruity flavor to this chicken dish and is also a source of healthy monounsaturated fats.
- 1 Teaspoon Sesame Oil – Sesame oil is a potent ingredient in Asian cuisine, imparting a distinct nutty flavor and aroma. It’s used sparingly in this recipe to enhance the overall flavor profile without overwhelming it but adding depth and richness to the dish.
- ¼ Cup Honey (2.02 fluid oz | 60 ml) – Honey is the star of the show when it comes to sweetness in this dish. It not only provides natural sweetness but also helps create a glossy, caramelized glaze on the chicken.
- ¼ Cup Soy Sauce (2.02 fluid oz | 60 ml) – Soy sauce is a cornerstone of Asian cuisine and provides the savory, umami element in this recipe. Low-sodium soy sauce can be used as a slightly healthier option.
Each of these ingredients plays a crucial role in making Honey Garlic Soy Chicken a harmonious and flavorful dish. Together, they create a balance of sweet, savory, and aromatic elements that make this recipe an absolute delight for your taste buds.
How To Make Garlic Soy Chicken
Preheat the oven to 390 F | 200 C.
Add chicken thighs skin side down and onion wedges in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
In a small bowl mix pepper, garlic, ginger, olive oil, sesame oil, honey, and soy sauce. Pour on the chicken thighs.
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then turn and bake for another 25 minutes until chicken is browned.
Remove and spoon the liquid on the chicken thighs. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve with rice.
Can I add vegetables to this Honey Garlic Soy Chicken?
Yes, certainly! You can use any of your favorite vegetables but I highly suggest either broccoli or green beans.
How to store leftovers
Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
How to reheat
Reheat in the microwave or in a skillet.
What to serve with
This is great with rice but may also be served with noodles or potatoes.
In summary, the Honey Garlic Soy Chicken recipe offers a delightful culinary experience with its harmonious flavors, simplicity, and versatility. It’s a dish that’s sure to become a beloved addition to your repertoire, satisfying your taste buds and making your meals enjoyable and stress-free. Give it a try, and you’ll quickly see why this recipe is a favorite among home cooks everywhere.
Honey Garlic Soy Chicken
- 1.5 lb boneless or boned-in chicken thigh, skin on
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in wedges
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger, (optional but highly recommended!)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup honey 2.02 fluid oz | 60 ml
- ¼ cup soy sauce 2.02 fluid oz | 60 ml
- Preheat the oven to 390 F | 200 C.
- Add chicken thighs skin side down and onion wedges in a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl mix pepper, garlic, ginger, olive oil, sesame oil, honey, and soy sauce. Pour on the chicken thighs.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes then turn and bake for another 25 minutes until chicken pieces are browned and fully-cooked and tender. Oven temperatures vary so adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Remove and spoon the liquid on the chicken thighs. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve with rice.
Last updated on October 2nd, 2023 at 09:50 am